New iBooks for 2005?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by keirius, Jan 2, 2005.

  1. keirius macrumors newbie

    Dec 28, 2004
    As mentioned in my other thread, I'm about to make the MS to Mac switch over within the next 3 months.

    I noticed there is some sort of trend in the past few years on iBook releases. There are usually about 2 iBooks released in a year. As what most people say, there probably wouldn't be a G5 fitted in the iBook.

    I wonder whether there will be another release of "speed-bumped" iBooks for the next 6 months. I don't want to get the 12" G4 iBook only to get outdated a few months later.

    So even if there will be new speed-bumped iBooks, will Apple still have the $999 price tag for the 12 "....?

    If not, I'll just make the switch over when the time comes...

    What do you guys think? :confused:
  2. Chaszmyr macrumors 601


    Aug 9, 2002
    We can virtually guarantee that.

    In the next 6 months? Probably. In the next 3 months? Doubtful.

    Almost certainly. The $999 price tag is new as of the most recent revision, and Apple doesn't usually lower their prices two updates in a row.

    I would say if you're looking to buy a 12'' iBook and you're certain that you're not going to want to spring for an updated 12'' PowerBook (which may be released soon), right now is a perfectly fine time to do so.
  3. James L macrumors 6502a

    Apr 14, 2004
    April or May for next iBook would be my best guess. Most recent spring update dates include:

    May 2002
    April 2003
    April 2004

    ..also, they were just updated on October 19th, about 2.5 months ago. I cant see another iBook update before Easter.
  4. carlos700 macrumors regular


    Dec 17, 2004
    Omaha, NE
    I don't see any iBook updates. Although I hope they get a new design. :eek:
  5. leekohler macrumors G5


    Dec 22, 2004
    Chicago, Illinois
    You know what? Buy your iBook when you're ready. I got mine in June-1Ghz G4 14" with a 60 Gig hard drive for $1099 from Microcenter. It was some kind of "special purchase". It got outdated a few months later. So What! It's great, I love it and I got a good deal. Get one-you'll be glad you did no matter how soon it gets updated after you buy. :)
  6. Photorun macrumors 65816


    Sep 1, 2003
    Agree with leekohler, don't wait, just buy. All signs point to no new updates next week so you may as well buy, you wont be disapponited.
  7. Mertzen macrumors 6502


    Sep 25, 2004
    If ' waiting for the next update because the old one will be defunct " is your game then you'll never get one ..

    At one point you'll just have to make the jump .. the next iBook revision won't hold anything special anyway besides some faster CPUs ..
  8. maya macrumors 68040


    Oct 7, 2004
    somewhere between here and there.

    I would say the 12" model will have a 1.33 GHz G4 and the 14" will have a 1.4 GHz G4 and maybe an upgrade to the GPU other than that not much BT well you might get lucky if they include it in and that is a 50/50 chance. :)

    And the next Update should be April 2005. :) I would say it would fall right on date with "Tiger" release in accords to my prediction. :)
  9. Jdm_rsx macrumors 6502

    Nov 26, 2004
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    whats so special about tiger maya

    educate me plz just as you did w/ the powerbooks and ibook!!!
  10. maya macrumors 68040


    Oct 7, 2004
    somewhere between here and there.

    HERE you go have fun. :)
  11. Jdm_rsx macrumors 6502

    Nov 26, 2004
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    alright thats not what i MEANT!

    come on know what im talkin about !!!


Share This Page