New iBooks soon?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by crazydreaming, May 9, 2005.

  1. crazydreaming macrumors 6502a


    Apr 17, 2005
    Salt Lake City, UT -Westminster College
    So what's happening with iBooks? The time between updates bar is the longest it's ever been in the Buyers Guide. Could this mean we are in for (finally) a big iBook change? My dad is biting the bullet to buy now.

    I hope sometime this week...

    What do you guys think the next iBook will be? I'm thinking they may do something that's going to really set it apart from the 12" Powerbook.

    What are you dreaming of?
  2. intrepkid21 macrumors regular

    Apr 6, 2004
    Long Island, New York
    I have the latest gen's a great machine and I definately recommend it..but I'm sure the iBook updates will come soon..if its just a speed bump. Perhaps they are waiting til WWDC to unveil something special. I have been wanting colored ibooks to come back for the longest time. I think that after the iPod mini's success..these machines would sell like mad. Picture it, "from the makers of ipod mini, re-introducing the ibook g4"..same colors as ipod mini and maybe made of the same material?? I would buy a new one just for that!
  3. crazydreaming thread starter macrumors 6502a


    Apr 17, 2005
    Salt Lake City, UT -Westminster College
    That would be awesome. Just for the aluminum alone. At first I thought they would never make an aluminum iBook, because of the Powerbook, but maybe, just maybe if it was colored. Heck, if the iPod mini gets the aluminum treatment, why can't the iBook?!

    Now, I just don't know what to tell my dad. He wants a iBook or powerbook, but doesn't want to spend more than $1,000. So we were going to buy a powerbook from Microcenter, until they ran out...

    So I told him iBooks should be updated very soon, to hold on just a little more... little more... What to do?

    My dad's not very good at patience and waiting...
  4. crazydreaming thread starter macrumors 6502a


    Apr 17, 2005
    Salt Lake City, UT -Westminster College
  5. chelseasian macrumors regular


    Oct 20, 2004
    New York, NY (Chelsea)
    Me! I am waiting for a new iBook. Though that would make the total number of Macs in my apt. 4!

    I have an old G4 500mhz which is collecting dust at the moment. :p
  6. bbarnhart macrumors 6502a


    Jan 16, 2002
    I am waiting for new iBooks. I'll probably buy whatever comes out next and be disappointed it's not more. There are PowerBooks, but I don't need that type of machine.
  7. crazydreaming thread starter macrumors 6502a


    Apr 17, 2005
    Salt Lake City, UT -Westminster College
    If you are going to use your portable a lot, like at least few hours a day... Go with a Powerbook. I went with an iBook and am regretting it. I use it all the time, school, work, after school, work.. lol.

    I thought I would get a desktop, but I really don't need a desktop in addition, I only need 1 machine.

  8. mahashel macrumors 6502


    May 5, 2005
    "the lab"
    I'm waiting as well. I have a graphite G4 tower, which is still more than adequate for my desktop, but am impatiently awaiting the next iBook revision since my portable mac is a 233MHz Wallstreet powerbook.
    Could definately use some more beef for my portable system. :p
  9. bbarnhart macrumors 6502a


    Jan 16, 2002
    I'm only considering the $999 iBook and the 12" PowerBook is an amazing 50% more at $1499. Besides, it's just for my wife and kids to use. If it was for me, I'd get the 17" PowerBook :D
  10. johnCornelius macrumors newbie

    May 9, 2005
    Me too...

    Definitely decided I want a 12" iBook or might just stretch to a PB but I'd rather not - and I just can't buy until Apple gives some kind of sign... though I guess it might all be held up by the wait for and problems with the PB jump to G5.

    At the very least I'll be buying extra RAM to get it to 512Mb, and that could so easily be part of a minimal "bump" to the range that I can't bear to pay extra for it right now!

    I really want one my iBook! Pain, pain, pain... :(
  11. guichard macrumors newbie

    Apr 26, 2005
    Manchester, England
    How long can I wait?

    I too am waiting for the ibook update. It has been amusing reading the posts and what various members are stating as likely amendments. I am just waiting so that I do not purchase something that is replaced in a couple of weeks - months. I will be buying a 12" ibook as I already have a desktop (XP, not Mac OS).

    Come on apple, I know you want my £700.


    P.s. to all the members in my situation, enjoy the wait. I think it is part of the purchasing fun! :rolleyes:
  12. Aeronautical macrumors member

    May 8, 2005
    the anticipation is killing me...

    I'm waiting for a new ibook as well!!!! I keep reading every rumour and every thread on them. I've deceided on the ibook against the powerbook becos' of the sturdiness of the plastic case and its price, and also I don't really like that metallicy silver finish that the powerbook and nearly every dvd player, stereo, video and tv has now. It's just too everywhere. Evryone acts like the looks of the powerbook are a real selling point, but having silver everything is no choice at all.
  13. Beck446 macrumors regular

    Jul 16, 2003
    Besides, the longer the wait the better: Apple is more likely to do a major form redesign at WWDC than tomorrow. So no news is good news!
  14. kitsune^ macrumors newbie

    May 9, 2005
    Helsinki, Finland
    Another convert

    Hey everyone, my first post here.

    Decided to sell my ThinkPad and get one of these new 12" iBooks once they are released. Can't wait.

    I'm still a student finising my masters, so I'm going to use the iBook for maybe two years. Then when I'm working, I'll get a 15" G5 PowerBook and give the 12" to my parents.

    Hoping for the colored iBooks too! I'd go for a red. :D
  15. timmyb macrumors 6502

    Feb 2, 2005
    United Kingdom
    I've been putting off buying the iBook till the next update since january. I only really need it for uni in september but it's so hard to hold out when you have to use a PC. My iBook of choice is the 12" model and although I'm not bothered by a RAM boost, (I'm going to upgrade to 768MB anyway,) I really want the 64MB VRAM for all the Tiger features. Apart from RAM and VRAM, does anyone think we are likely to get any other additions in the next rev?
  16. zach macrumors 65816


    Feb 14, 2003
    Maybe the harddrive protection. I doubt the iBooks will see the scrolling keypad enabled, however.
  17. jayscheuerle macrumors 68020


    I'm sure the next revisions will support Core Image/Video, etc. and have the minimum of 512 MB of RAM. I'm not sure why they'd change the case. Its look is consistent with the iMac and iPod..
  18. An naoscaire macrumors newbie

    May 26, 2004
    Dublin, Éire
    Yer, I'm waiting for a new 12" iBook too.

    I'll probably get a stern reality check for this but, I'd love if they offered a superdrive with the 12" as an optional. I wouldn't mind paying the extra cash for it. (coreimage capable GPU is a given, too)

    My current mac is a black performa 5400/180 on system 7.5.3! I'm looking to get the iBook for, among other things, development and archiving. If my experience with Tiger is what I hope it will be I may just get a €500 Dell crap box for Windows and get a decent Powermac as my new main computer.

    Here's hoping... :eek:
  19. brandon6684 Guest

    Dec 30, 2002
    I was initially under the impression that the iBooks would be coming out along with the iMacs and eMacs, but now I'm told they won't be out until this summer(possibly WWDC?) along side updated Mac minis. The iBook will get minor speed bumps(possible scenarios I heard include 12" 1.33 and 14" at 1.42 or 1.5, or both at 1.42) and the mini is expected to be at 1.42GHz for both models, and the ram and vram is expected to be brought into sync with the eMac(64MB 9600). The iBooks should have 512 RAM across the whole line, while the mini may adopt the eMac aproach with the lowend still with 256 and the $599 with 512MB.
  20. Red Belly macrumors member

    May 9, 2005
    I'm a soon to be switcher. Initially decided to buy a Dell laptop to replace my 5-y-o Windows 98 desktop about 6 months ago, but I've decided to switch to OSX, and the ibook will be my gateway to apple. Assuming all goes well I'll probably buy the NEXT revision of the iMac in a year or so as my new home PC. I don't really NEED the laptop yet so I'm happy enough to wait for the next upgrade. The 12" ibook looks an excellent little portable as is. I'm budgeting for an airport express and a tucano second skin as well as BTO upgrades to 512RAM and a 60gig Hard drive. I'm kinda hoping the next upgrade will save me some money on those bto upgrades. Money which can go towards software or a shiny new ipod photo.

  21. Deepdale macrumors 68000


    May 4, 2005
    New York

    Count me in on that ... I would snap up one in a cool color very quickly. I am not counting on that to materialize, but an occasional flight of fancy will do no harm.
  22. shane-o-mac macrumors regular


    Jan 24, 2005
    I am jumping on the bandwagon as well.

    Currently have a 15" powerbook I got a couple months ago I am tryin to sell on another thread(

    It is an amazing machine, but really too much for my need since I seldom do more then check email and write papers. The ibook offers portability and battery life I would really like to have. But I am def not going to buy until the updates.
  23. MacSA macrumors 68000


    Jun 4, 2003
    They'll definatley upgrade the hardrive, 30gb is not that great. I'm not sure about the 512mb of memory though...It wouldn't surprise me if the more expensive 14" got 512 and the cheaper 12" stayed with 256. And they both need the 64mb 9600 card.
  24. Abstract macrumors Penryn


    Dec 27, 2002
    Location Location Location

    Don't buy your RAM from Apple. Go to NewEgg

    if you want RAM.

    I'm just concerned that if you're looking at prices for your laptops, you're getting your iBooks and PBs with Apple-installed RAM. Its piss easy to install your own RAM (a good 3-4 minutes), and it'll save you heaps of money.
  25. Lord ZipLoc macrumors newbie

    Apr 21, 2005
    ibook vs sony vaio

    i to haev been waiting over a month for the new 12" ibooks to coem out and will br buyign one when it comes out
    i jsut have a question how will the preformance of this possible ibook upgrade
    1.42ghz 64mb video card 768mb ram 60gb hard drive compare to my current laptop
    sony vaio k13 p4 2.8ghz 448mb ram 64mbs shared video radeon igp345 4200rpm 40gb hard drive
    will the ibook be faster? or is the vaio a better computer

Share This Page