Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

crazydreaming

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
So what's happening with iBooks? The time between updates bar is the longest it's ever been in the Buyers Guide. Could this mean we are in for (finally) a big iBook change? My dad is biting the bullet to buy now.

I hope sometime this week...

What do you guys think the next iBook will be? I'm thinking they may do something that's going to really set it apart from the 12" Powerbook.

What are you dreaming of?

intrepkid21

macrumors regular
Apr 6, 2004
Long Island, New York
I have the latest gen ibook..it's a great machine and I definately recommend it..but I'm sure the iBook updates will come soon..if its just a speed bump. Perhaps they are waiting til WWDC to unveil something special. I have been wanting colored ibooks to come back for the longest time. I think that after the iPod mini's success..these machines would sell like mad. Picture it, "from the makers of ipod mini, re-introducing the ibook g4"..same colors as ipod mini and maybe made of the same material?? I would buy a new one just for that!

crazydreaming

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
That would be awesome. Just for the aluminum alone. At first I thought they would never make an aluminum iBook, because of the Powerbook, but maybe, just maybe if it was colored. Heck, if the iPod mini gets the aluminum treatment, why can't the iBook?!

Now, I just don't know what to tell my dad. He wants a iBook or powerbook, but doesn't want to spend more than $1,000. So we were going to buy a powerbook from Microcenter, until they ran out...

So I told him iBooks should be updated very soon, to hold on just a little more... little more... What to do?

My dad's not very good at patience and waiting...

bbarnhart

macrumors 6502a
Jan 16, 2002
I am waiting for new iBooks. I'll probably buy whatever comes out next and be disappointed it's not more. There are PowerBooks, but I don't need that type of machine.

crazydreaming

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
If you are going to use your portable a lot, like at least few hours a day... Go with a Powerbook. I went with an iBook and am regretting it. I use it all the time, school, work, after school, work.. lol.

I thought I would get a desktop, but I really don't need a desktop in addition, I only need 1 machine.

anyways..

mahashel

macrumors 6502
May 5, 2005
"the lab"
Who else is waiting for new iBooks?
I'm waiting as well. I have a graphite G4 tower, which is still more than adequate for my desktop, but am impatiently awaiting the next iBook revision since my portable mac is a 233MHz Wallstreet powerbook.
Could definately use some more beef for my portable system. :p

bbarnhart

macrumors 6502a
Jan 16, 2002
crazydreaming said:
If you are going to use your portable a lot, like at least few hours a day... Go with a Powerbook. I went with an iBook and am regretting it. I use it all the time, school, work, after school, work.. lol.

I thought I would get a desktop, but I really don't need a desktop in addition, I only need 1 machine.

anyways..

I'm only considering the $999 iBook and the 12" PowerBook is an amazing 50% more at $1499. Besides, it's just for my wife and kids to use. If it was for me, I'd get the 17" PowerBook :D

johnCornelius

macrumors newbie
May 9, 2005
Me too...

crazydreaming said:
Who else is waiting for new iBooks?

Definitely decided I want a 12" iBook or might just stretch to a PB but I'd rather not - and I just can't buy until Apple gives some kind of sign... though I guess it might all be held up by the wait for and problems with the PB jump to G5.

At the very least I'll be buying extra RAM to get it to 512Mb, and that could so easily be part of a minimal "bump" to the range that I can't bear to pay extra for it right now!

I really want one my iBook! Pain, pain, pain... :(

guichard

macrumors newbie
Apr 26, 2005
Manchester, England
How long can I wait?

I too am waiting for the ibook update. It has been amusing reading the posts and what various members are stating as likely amendments. I am just waiting so that I do not purchase something that is replaced in a couple of weeks - months. I will be buying a 12" ibook as I already have a desktop (XP, not Mac OS).

Come on apple, I know you want my £700.

Rob

P.s. to all the members in my situation, enjoy the wait. I think it is part of the purchasing fun! :rolleyes:

Aeronautical

macrumors member
May 8, 2005
London
the anticipation is killing me...

I'm waiting for a new ibook as well!!!! I keep reading every rumour and every thread on them. I've deceided on the ibook against the powerbook becos' of the sturdiness of the plastic case and its price, and also I don't really like that metallicy silver finish that the powerbook and nearly every dvd player, stereo, video and tv has now. It's just too everywhere. Evryone acts like the looks of the powerbook are a real selling point, but having silver everything is no choice at all.

Beck446

macrumors regular
Jul 16, 2003
Besides, the longer the wait the better: Apple is more likely to do a major form redesign at WWDC than tomorrow. So no news is good news!

kitsune^

macrumors newbie
May 9, 2005
Helsinki, Finland
Another convert

Hey everyone, my first post here.

Decided to sell my ThinkPad and get one of these new 12" iBooks once they are released. Can't wait.

I'm still a student finising my masters, so I'm going to use the iBook for maybe two years. Then when I'm working, I'll get a 15" G5 PowerBook and give the 12" to my parents.

Hoping for the colored iBooks too! I'd go for a red. :D

timmyb

macrumors 6502
Feb 2, 2005
United Kingdom
I've been putting off buying the iBook till the next update since january. I only really need it for uni in september but it's so hard to hold out when you have to use a PC. My iBook of choice is the 12" model and although I'm not bothered by a RAM boost, (I'm going to upgrade to 768MB anyway,) I really want the 64MB VRAM for all the Tiger features. Apart from RAM and VRAM, does anyone think we are likely to get any other additions in the next rev?

zach

macrumors 65816
Feb 14, 2003
Medford
Maybe the harddrive protection. I doubt the iBooks will see the scrolling keypad enabled, however.

An naoscaire

macrumors newbie
May 26, 2004
Dublin, Éire
Yer, I'm waiting for a new 12" iBook too.

I'll probably get a stern reality check for this but, I'd love if they offered a superdrive with the 12" as an optional. I wouldn't mind paying the extra cash for it. (coreimage capable GPU is a given, too)

My current mac is a black performa 5400/180 on system 7.5.3! I'm looking to get the iBook for, among other things, development and archiving. If my experience with Tiger is what I hope it will be I may just get a €500 Dell crap box for Windows and get a decent Powermac as my new main computer.

Here's hoping... :eek:

brandon6684

Dec 30, 2002
I was initially under the impression that the iBooks would be coming out along with the iMacs and eMacs, but now I'm told they won't be out until this summer(possibly WWDC?) along side updated Mac minis. The iBook will get minor speed bumps(possible scenarios I heard include 12" 1.33 and 14" at 1.42 or 1.5, or both at 1.42) and the mini is expected to be at 1.42GHz for both models, and the ram and vram is expected to be brought into sync with the eMac(64MB 9600). The iBooks should have 512 RAM across the whole line, while the mini may adopt the eMac aproach with the lowend still with 256 and the $599 with 512MB.

Red Belly

macrumors member
May 9, 2005
Ireland
I'm a soon to be switcher. Initially decided to buy a Dell laptop to replace my 5-y-o Windows 98 desktop about 6 months ago, but I've decided to switch to OSX, and the ibook will be my gateway to apple. Assuming all goes well I'll probably buy the NEXT revision of the iMac in a year or so as my new home PC. I don't really NEED the laptop yet so I'm happy enough to wait for the next upgrade. The 12" ibook looks an excellent little portable as is. I'm budgeting for an airport express and a tucano second skin as well as BTO upgrades to 512RAM and a 60gig Hard drive. I'm kinda hoping the next upgrade will save me some money on those bto upgrades. Money which can go towards software or a shiny new ipod photo.

rb

Deepdale

macrumors 68000
May 4, 2005
New York
intrepkid21 said:
I have been wanting colored ibooks to come back for the longest time. I think that after the iPod mini's success..these machines would sell like mad. Picture it, "from the makers of ipod mini, re-introducing the ibook g4"..same colors as ipod mini and maybe made of the same material?? I would buy a new one just for that!

Count me in on that ... I would snap up one in a cool color very quickly. I am not counting on that to materialize, but an occasional flight of fancy will do no harm.

shane-o-mac

macrumors regular
Jan 24, 2005
I am jumping on the bandwagon as well.

Currently have a 15" powerbook I got a couple months ago I am tryin to sell on another thread(https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/123072/).

It is an amazing machine, but really too much for my need since I seldom do more then check email and write papers. The ibook offers portability and battery life I would really like to have. But I am def not going to buy until the updates.

MacSA

macrumors 68000
Jun 4, 2003
UK
They'll definatley upgrade the hardrive, 30gb is not that great. I'm not sure about the 512mb of memory though...It wouldn't surprise me if the more expensive 14" got 512 and the cheaper 12" stayed with 256. And they both need the 64mb 9600 card.

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
TO ALL THE SWITCHERS OR SOON-TO-BE-SWITCHERS:

Don't buy your RAM from Apple. Go to NewEgg
OWC

if you want RAM.

I'm just concerned that if you're looking at prices for your laptops, you're getting your iBooks and PBs with Apple-installed RAM. Its piss easy to install your own RAM (a good 3-4 minutes), and it'll save you heaps of money.

Lord ZipLoc

macrumors newbie
Apr 21, 2005
Brooklyn
ibook vs sony vaio

i to haev been waiting over a month for the new 12" ibooks to coem out and will br buyign one when it comes out
i jsut have a question how will the preformance of this possible ibook upgrade
1.42ghz 64mb video card 768mb ram 60gb hard drive compare to my current laptop
sony vaio k13 p4 2.8ghz 448mb ram 64mbs shared video radeon igp345 4200rpm 40gb hard drive
will the ibook be faster? or is the vaio a better computer
thanks

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.