new iCal bug?

Discussion in 'iOS 9' started by orbitalpunk, Apr 6, 2016.

1. orbitalpunk macrumors 6502

orbitalpunk

I'm seeing an issue with iCal and wonder if its a new bug in 9.3.1. When I set the default alert for new calendar events under Preferences>Mail, Contacts, Calendars>Default Alert Times>Events>1 day before and then go into iCal and create a new event and set the second alert to 1 hour before, the alerts swap. Now the first alert is 1 hour before and the second alert is 1 day before.

Anyone else see the same issue?

2. NoBoMac, Apr 7, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 7, 2016

NoBoMac macrumors 6502a

I guess it is a bug in that from a UI/UX experience, kinda random on sort order of alerts. But in big scheme of things, don't think it's a real issue. Bottom line, does not affect WHEN the alerts go off: one will trigger at day before, the other at hour before.

This also happens on OS X Calendar. I created a new event the other day on my Mac, entered three alerts in the following order: 30 min before, 15 before, 10 before. Calendar on OS X and Fantastical on iOS both show the alerts in ascending order (10, 15, 30). A different event I created a day or two earlier, alerts at 1 hour and 30 minutes before, on OS X Calendar shows 1 hr then 30 min, on Fantastical, 30 min then 1 hr.

I've never paid attention to display order, in that never really cared, and my alerts alert when they are supposed to.

If you have a developer account: bugreport.apple.com

Bigger UX/UI issue for me is that on OS X, can add more than two alerts, while on iOS, only allows two alerts (hence one reason to use Fantastical or some other Calendar/Reminders app, where 3rd party apps allow entering more than two alerts). Or, on OS X Calendar, can set week start day (I like Sundays), while on Reminders cannot set a day, and the week start for that is Monday (and if I'm not careful, can select the wrong day for an item from the pop-up calendar).

3. dyt1983 macrumors 65816

Well, I would state it more that "Reminders uses the location/region setting for start of week, and Calendars doesn't necessarily adhere to it"... If the Monday start of week for your location isn't really appearing anywhere else, you can change that. But yeah, it is still an inconsistency in the UI.

4. NoBoMac macrumors 6502a

Totally forgot about week-start being in the region settings. Somehow, the setting was changed on my Mac. Now fixed.

Thanks!

5. dyt1983 macrumors 65816

Haha, that's even better support of your UX/UI complaint!