Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

CompUsed

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 15, 2000
Columbus OH
I had a MobileMe trial account that has expired. I am waiting for the new iCloud. Should I (can I) secure a email name (NOW) before the rush for iCloud?

ugahairydawgs

macrumors 68030
Jun 10, 2010
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

You're asking a question that nobody knows an absolute answer to.

At this point your guess is as good as anyone else's.

TwoBytes

macrumors 68040
Jun 2, 2008
In light of yesterday's news, is there any more news on this issue? I'm going to subscribe to this thread.

Will apple drop @me.com like they did to the @mac addresses?
Will there be a new @icloud address?

I hope it's not first come first serve. IF there is a new @icloud email, i'd like my current names & alias's transferred..

OllyW

Staff member
Oct 11, 2005
The Black Country, England
In light of yesterday's news, is there any more news on this issue? I'm going to subscribe to this thread.

Will apple drop @me.com like they did to the @mac addresses?
Will there be a new @icloud address?

I hope it's not first come first serve. IF there is a new @icloud email, i'd like my current names & alias's transferred..

They are keeping @me.com

When you set up iCloud, you get a free me.com email account.

http://www.apple.com/icloud/features/contacts-calendar-mail.html

thunderbunny

macrumors 6502a
Jul 15, 2010
Cheshire, UK
I imagine that at the moment the transition moves all your data to iCloud and lets you keep (and log-in) via your MobileMe email address & password.

Personally I would have liked Apple to let current MobileMe customers either keep their own @me.com email address or pick any other (that isn't held by a current customer) but can't see that happening. The transition gives you no chance to choose a different email address.

PurpleMarmalade

macrumors regular
Aug 29, 2010
Personally I would have liked Apple to let current MobileMe customers either keep their own @me.com email address or pick any other (that isn't held by a current customer) but can't see that happening. The transition gives you no chance to choose a different email address.

Don't feel too bad; Thunderbunny is very nearly as awesome as PurpleMarmalade. Nearly.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.