New iCloud upgrade pricing

Discussion in 'iOS 8' started by Stampyhead, Jun 3, 2014.

1. Stampyhead macrumors 68020

Stampyhead

Does anyone know when the new upgrade pricing announced at the keynote will take effect? I didn't catch the end of the broadcast so I wasn't sure if they announced it. I need to upgrade my iCloud storage and I would much rather pay 0.99/month for 20GB than $20/year for 10GB.

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Probably not until OSX 10.10 or iOS8 hits the streets.

3. Stampyhead thread starter macrumors 68020

Stampyhead

That's what I figured... :(

4. SuperRob macrumors regular

If you have multiple people using multiple devices all tied to one account, like my wife and I do, Family Sharing will probably solve many people's storage issues. Remember, you should have 5GB per account, and the hacks many of us are using to share purchases, calendars, documents, etc. are also forcing you to all drink from the same storage pool, particularly when storing backups.

So hold out if you can. You may find you have more storage available when you set up Family Sharing than you thought.

5. dacreativeguy macrumors 68020

I'm betting that Apple bumps up the 5GB of free storage when 10.10/8 launches. Other companies currently give users a lot more free data. Now that Apple has officially aimed at Dropbox, MS, Google, etc. with iCloud Drive, those companies have 6 months to sweeten the deal even more. I can't imagine Apple being able to keep everyone at 5 GB.

6. sflomenb macrumors 6502a

sflomenb

What will happen to my plan which I am already subscribed to? I have the 10 GB for $20/year

7. whsbuss macrumors 68040

whsbuss

Don't see that happening. They already announced yesterday the pricing scheme.

8. DotCom2 macrumors 68040

You will have options at renewal time I would assume.

9. Bengy66 macrumors regular

I am also due for a renewal in July 1st and wondering about the change. My concern is that this new pricing cover ALL iCloud data or just photos in the iCloud?

10. Xenc macrumors 6502a

Xenc

Developers can temporarily add 50 GB to their iCloud storage for free: https://developer.icloud.com/#storage

The additional 50 GB lasts until November 1, 2014. You can then upgrade using the new pricing structure.

11. Salukipilot4590 macrumors 6502

Salukipilot4590

I owe you a beer, remind me later!