new iLife '08=$$$?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by sealab2021, Aug 1, 2007.

1. sealab2021 macrumors member

Can someone help me understand something here. If I just purchased a SR MBP like yesterday (tuesday). And apple releases iLife '08 on this upcomming tuesday, so its less then the 14 day return policy, do you think apple will show mercy on me and allow me to get iLife '08 with out having to pay $70 or something for it?

What do you guys think? I need some advice from people, since I haven't been a mac convert before Tiger, I never had to pay for iLife before.

An apple sales person once told me that apple has a policy that if you buy within 14 days of a new OS release, then they will upgrade you for free. Don't know if thats true or not or if that implies all software updates.

2. Rob0 macrumors newbie

More than likely you'll have to shell out the cash if you want iLife '08. Also, there's no confirmation that Apple will release the next version of the suite at next week's event.

3. Sounds Good macrumors 68000

Is there talk that they might?

4. aethelbert macrumors 601

There's talk, but then again, this site is called macrumors for a reason...:rolleyes:

5. iW00t macrumors 68040

iW00t

People always wanting something for free :cool:

6. hsotnicaM macrumors regular

I was hoping for the same thing when I bought my SRMBP but I couldn't wait any longer. :( Stupid iPhone pushed both 10.5 and iLife back. Heck yeah I was wanting it for free. :D I decided to get my new computer because I'd have to buy 10.5 anyway for my other computers.

7. iketeru macrumors member

I ordered a standard config macbook last week, and it still hasn't shipped yet. Today the shipping status changed from ships between July 30-Aug 1 to Aug 7-Aug 9; perhaps they're preloading with the new iLife? I could just be reading into that too much, heh.

8. TsuaSai macrumors 6502

Weird my sister ordered a macbook on Sunday and got it yesterday. You would think if they were preloading machines hers would have been held as well.

9. Sounds Good macrumors 68000

Maybe they're giving you Leopard, too. :p

10. iketeru macrumors member

haha, I wish! either way, if it happens that a new iLife is released and it's not preloaded even when shipping at that date, I'll have to take OP's suggestion and ask Apple for the free upgrade.

11. netdog macrumors 603

netdog

...or £££ or whatever.

Yes, Apple will charge ya.

12. h110283 macrumors newbie

iife 08

similar to the orignal post, i just received my MBP today, AUG 3. however, apple sent me a matte screen even though i had ordered a glossy. i even have the receipt to prove it. the question is, if i return it for my original order, what are the chances i will receive the new ilife along with it??? and if its relevant, my order was BTO with a 160 GB HDD (15" 2.2)

13. Joshua8o8 macrumors 6502

I know some will find this a dumb question, but i dont know, so im going to ask it anyway. Whats the difference between iLife and Leopard? I know leopard is an operating system, but i thought it would have iLife on it?

14. djejrejk macrumors 6502a

djejrejk

Leopard is the new Mac OS (10.5). iLife = iphoto/idvd/garage band/iweb/ and the free iTunes.

Some iLife 08 features might only work with Leopard.

You should check out the apple website http://www.apple.com/ilife/

15. Queso macrumors G4

Considering what is contained, you really can't complain about the pricing of iLife updates. The apps have come a long way since Apple's original free downloads.

16. Joshua8o8 macrumors 6502

o0o i c. Damn apple sure knows how to get people to buy their products.

17. Jamiephofe macrumors member

My MBP is due to ship on the 8th, I should imagine if iLife is released on the 7th that my machine should come preloaded with it.

If not, time to call Apple up. I'm assuming if that's the case then I can request iLife free of charge as the product was already out when they shipped the MBP.

18. iW00t macrumors 68040

iW00t

I hope they name it iLife 07

Then I can call them and remind them that my MacBook Pro which was purchased in 2007 does not have iLife 07.

19. Jamiephofe macrumors member

If they released the product before your MBP was shipped and your MBP doesn't have the product then go for it.