New iMac 2.8 Gh: Which RAM to get???

Discussion in 'iMac' started by ScubaDuc, Sep 2, 2007.

1. ScubaDuc macrumors 6502

ScubaDuc

I am confused about which RAM to order for the new iMac 2.8 Gh "Extreme"... :confused:

Can some kind soul clarify if I should order DD2 PC5300 667 (2x2 Gb) like the memory that should come with it, or DDR 2 PC6400 800, like the Crucial Site says the iMac supports...???

Also, I cannot find any Apple certified PC6400 RAM 2+2 Gb kits on NewEgg...only PC5300 :confused:

I know that Apple computers are "choosy" about which RAM but Apple charges over 800 Euros :eek: and Crucial over 500 bucks. A more "humane" price on NewEgg is around 260 bucks which I'd have no problem with...

Does anybody have a suggestion where to get some good, cheap Apple certified RAM ( 2x2 Gb "paired") to max out the RAM on the new iMac?

Also, if you don't mind me profit from this post, I would like to replace the HD on my IntelMini...is it a SATA6, SATA 150, or SATA 3Gb/sec :confused:

I am "tripping" to the states and would like to max the value of the pesos...ehm dollar ;) :D

Thanks a zillion and happy labo(u)r day to all ... :)

2. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

3. JimmyDreams macrumors 6502

4. velocityg4 macrumors 68040

velocityg4

The trick to newegg is to look in the customer reviews to see if others have gotten the memory to work.

This single 2GB chip is reported to work in an iMac.
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820220229

Yes you can install 800Mhz DDR2 but from what I know the board only supports up to 667Mhz DDR2. So even though they would work they would be clocked down to 667Mhz.

5. ScubaDuc thread starter macrumors 6502

ScubaDuc

Thank you to all...

The Crucial site confused me with its listing of the PC6400 for the iMac 24".... I shall get 2x2Gb sticks from NewEgg :)

But now a tinge of theoretical doubt has crossed my mind..... Why would the new iMac with a Santa Rosa Chipset and an 800 bus still use the "old" PC5300 RAM of the previous C2D model??? :confused:

More of a rethorical question than anything, I suppose ;)

Thanks again :)

6. termina3 macrumors 65816

There's nothing wrong with this RAM. Short of upping the PCxxxx rating a bit, or changing to server RAM, will it get all that much better? i.e. This RAM does not provide a big bottleneck, whereas the chipset and bus speed might.