New iMac 2011 problem, what do I do?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by hydr, Oct 4, 2011.

1. hydr macrumors regular

I got a new iMac from Apple Store Thailand 7 days ago.
    I upgraded the memory 4x4 Corsair bought from a Apple Studio Store in Bangkok.

The software I use is Adobe Suite and Lightroom.

After 5 days I had my first "Black Screen Of Death" - and the last 2 days I have had it 4 times in total. I am doing nothing beside using safari,itunes,adobe suite and lightroom.

I have 4 USB drives attached.

What do you think is going on, and what are my best options at this point? 7 days since Apple delivered me the iMac.

2. VPrime macrumors 68000

VPrime

You have 14 days to return if needed.
    Your iMac has a 1 year warranty, you can call apple to arrange a repair at an apple store or authorized repair shop.

3. Spike88 macrumors 6502a

As a suggestion....

Remove 3rd party memory upgrade simms. Go back to factory 4 Megs configuraton. Remove added USB drives as well. Go down to basics - at factory configuration default.

At factory basics, try for a while. If continues to work great, change 1 item at a time. Then, run for a few more days. Slowly, after a few days, add something different. Try to narrow down what specific item is the problem.

If "down to factory" configuration and it doesn't work, time to call Apple. Machine may have a h/w problem outside your control. re: Mother board problem...

Hope this helps....

4. Acorn macrumors 68020

Acorn

is it possible to hold down the d key on boot and run a apple hardware test like you can with laptops. hmm you might need a usb keyboard as i dont think bluetooth works so early in the boot stage.