New iMac 2011 Teardown

Discussion in 'iMac' started by stingray072, May 3, 2011.

1. mediasorcerer macrumors regular

2. ChargedPC macrumors member

Hello MacRumors Community,

We wanted to try and answer as many questions as we go along with the teardown, so please feel free to post questions and we'll try to answer as quickly as possible.

Cheers!

3. leman macrumors 604

So if I understand correctly, the 2011 iMac is actually more easy to open than the 2010 iMac? Is it possible to remove the LCD without damaging the stickers?

4. Spy.be macrumors newbie

Have you found any mini-pcie slot that could be used for blade SSD like the macbook air? :eek:

5. nafai23 macrumors regular

Many of us want to put our own second SSD in.

Does it need a kit or bracket?
    Is there even a place for it? (is the 2 drive HDD/SSD delayed because of this possibly)

6. sab165 macrumors member

sab165

Does it support the new 6Gb/s drives?

7. ndraves macrumors member

How easy is it to put an additional SSD in the iMac along with the supplied HDD. Are there Mounting points and spare SATA slots/cables?

Cheers

8. ndraves macrumors member

And what he said

9. ChargedPC macrumors member

Same difficulty in opening. Stickers seem like they could be moved without damage, especially if you were careful

Don't see any new yet but haven't got the motherboard out so stay tuned.

Since the model I have to work with doesn't include an SSD, we think it will be much like the 2010 model, where it will require a bracket and extra cabling. That being said we're still trying to see how many sata ports there are underneath.

According to OWC, it does not :(

Still working on it....stay tuned :)

10. martinm0 macrumors 6502a

I'm interested to know about SATA III and if it'll support and report 1600MHz RAM like the MBP's.

11. daneoni, May 3, 2011
    Last edited: May 3, 2011

daneoni macrumors G4

daneoni

12. iamthedudeman macrumors 65816

Why? Since it isn't SATA 3 and in real world use the speeds between Apple's SSD drives and a vertex will not be noticeable. Voids the warranty and doesn't officially support trim?

On top of that the Apple SSD at 500.00 for a 256GB is just as cheap or cheaper for a after market product. Not as fast as far as we know, but in real world use, there is no difference.

Other than wanting to but in a smaller drive for cheaper i can understand, somewhat, but why not use a thunderbolt port for that when they come avail if they are not already.

13. ChargedPC macrumors member

14. ChargedPC macrumors member

Other points we've realized. The extra SATA port on the back of motherboard is power and data! This means that instead of having to replace a huge set of cables when adding an SSD, you only need a cable similar to the optical drives :)

Also it appears that the SSD bracket is the same from eyeballing it, but we can't be 100% sure until we get it in hand.

15. Andylar macrumors regular

is the screen sealed any better than the previous imacs to stop the dust etc being blown into it ?

16. Michaelgtrusa macrumors 604

Michaelgtrusa

I hope so...

17. ChargedPC macrumors member

Unfortunately not at all. This is one of the main reason reasons we recommend having the upgrades done professionally.

We can't vouch for other services, but we do all our iMac upgrades in a cleanroom to make sure no dust gets trapped underneath the glass when performing upgrades.

If not done in a specialized facility, you will almost invariably end up with dust between the glass and LCD, and it is extremely irritating when you're using your $3000 machine and there's a bunch of specks you can't get rid of on your screen :(

18. ChargedPC macrumors member

Sorry but it doesn't seem like there's a slot anywhere on the motherboard...

19. Andylar macrumors regular

The question I was asking was about the actual LCD panel, is it any different to the 2010 models that allowed dust and smoke etc get trapped in the actual LCD itself leading to stains and streaks under the LCD glass. ?

Help on clarifying this would be greatly appreciated

20. ChargedPC macrumors member

The model we had is the same LM270WQ1 display panel as the 2010 model, but instead of an (SD)(A2) ending we have a (SD)(E3) ending. Not sure its just indicating the manufacturing run, but the displays seem identical.

And as far as those problems, I've never really heard of stains and streaks in iMac LCDs before, so I can't really speculate if these LCD panels would be any different.

21. Andylar macrumors regular

Thanks

Looks like they haven't changed anything, I'm on my 2nd iMac with 4 different screens with the same problem, looks like I'll be going for the mac pro and cinema display

Have a look at this thread http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=861355

22. ChargedPC macrumors member

We hadn't seen this problem before, so thanks for the info. Our guess though is that the Cinema displays now use the same LG panels as the iMac...

23. ChargedPC macrumors member

For people who still want to examine our teardown we've moved our blog over to here:

http://blog.chargedpc.com/

we got so many hits in the last day, we used up our entire website's bandwidth limits :)