New iMac 2012 - constant beeping?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by imac275, Mar 24, 2013.

1. imac275 macrumors member

My new iMac seems to have a feint beep constantly whilst it is on, I have only just noticed this as it sits in a very quiet room.

The beeps last about 1 second each with a similar length gap between them and are very quiet, only just audible above the fan in a quiet room.

Is this normal? I didn't have it on my previous (2008) iMac, but this is a very different machine inside (3.4 i7, Fusion and 680MX).

2. jpmorais macrumors member

did you upgrade the ram if yes take em out and replace them
    my biped once i replace my ram! but its fixed now! same set up as yours

3. imac275 thread starter macrumors member

No new RAM yet, just the standard 8GB it came with as I was going to buy third party to up it to 32GB.

Do you think I should try to reseat it anyway? The beeping is VERY feint, I don't think it can be a warning as it wouldn't be heard in louder room or office environment.

4. jpmorais macrumors member

Yeah try it it wont hurt that resets the hole kernel saved information

5. imac275 thread starter macrumors member

I have just returned a replacement iMac that didn't make this noise, but did have a bad screen.

Whilst I had both set up next to each other, I took the opportunity to swap tha RAM over and then back again. This did actually appear to change the noise from a constant beeping to a continuous high pitched noise, but it soon changed back again.

This is one of a few faults with this machine, but if I could fix it, I think I could live with the others (slight cosmetic damage, Trackpad connection problems.)