New iMac 2013 Heat, Fan, and Noise

Discussion in 'iMac' started by jabalczar, Sep 25, 2013.

1. jabalczar macrumors member

Had a 2011 iMac i5 21.5-inch. It was amazingly quiet.

I have a 2012 iMac i5 21.5-inch which is amazing noisy due to the fan. It runs cooler than the 2011 model. I've tried SMC fan control and it's idling at the recommended minimum, but still noisy. It drives me nuts. Especially when just writing on just a word processing programme in a quiet room. There's also some 'electrical high frequency whine' from the machine.

I notice some others have mentioned this, while others have said their fan is silent so *maybe* there are differences in manufacturing / parts between machines -- just guessing.

However,

I'm able to return my 2012 iMac for a full refund as it's 14 days old :eek::):D;)

I get the 2013 model next week (21.5-inch) any early ideas if it might be cooler or quieter? Different fan? Different setup? From what I read from iFixit they seem to be using a different heatsink, perhaps it might be cooler and fan quieter?

2. theRevIsNotDead macrumors member

theRevIsNotDead

3. mmomega macrumors demi-god

mmomega

Yeah my '12 27" i7 is more quiet than the '11 27" i5 in the same room.

I'm still holding out on either the '13 iMac or Mac Pro. Waiting on MP $$$$ to make a decision.

4. Serban Suspended

i still have the 2012 21.5" imac and the fan noise in a quiet room it can be heard when it reach 1800rpm and above.