Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

vandal76

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 14, 2010
Hello everyone!

I'm looking at upgrading my late 2013 iMac to one of the new ones, but the last iMac I purchased had the dreaded yellow tint issue. After sending it back to repair, that was resolved and been using it ever since with no issues, apart from it is now showing its age (photography and video have evolved quite a lot since then).
Can anyone let me know if this has been resolved? Are the screens uniform in colour/warmth?
I understand that no screen is perfect, but I'd like to know before pulling the trigger on another purchase and avoid the back and forth to the shop/repair etc.

Thanks so much.
:)

macduke

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
It's truly beautiful. I've checked solid color full screen and it looks great on black, white, gray, and various solid colors and it is very uniform and balanced. The color range is great and puts my quite nice LG 4K display to shame when viewed side by side. It has better peak brightness, darker blacks, extended color range and separation that is noticeable in nearly every color when compared to the LG. It's especially apparent in one of the new colorful wallpapers. I'm really enjoying it.

vandal76

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 14, 2010
It's truly beautiful. I've checked solid color full screen and it looks great on black, white, gray, and various solid colors and it is very uniform and balanced. The color range is great and puts my quite nice LG 4K display to shame when viewed side by side. It has better peak brightness, darker blacks, extended color range and separation that is noticeable in nearly every color when compared to the LG. It's especially apparent in one of the new colorful wallpapers. I'm really enjoying it.

Thank you so much, this is fantastic reassurance. I was actually looking at buying a second display and looked at an LG too.

macduke

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
Thank you so much, this is fantastic reassurance. I was actually looking at buying a second display and looked at an LG too.
This is the LG display. It's still good, but next to this display I notice the shortcomings more. It has even been calibrated. It's great to have on the side for watching movies while I'm working, and I primarily bought it to use with my Xbox One X last summer and to use with my work-issued MBP until I got a desktop. https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B078GRM2MV/

I do design work so I'm really picky with colors and how things look and can tell incredibly subtle differences in color on a well calibrated display. I am very happy with it. There are always lemons sometimes but I can't imagine a much better looking display. Perhaps OLED-caliber black levels are the only substantial improvement I can think of but it's going to be a long time until we see that on a desktop at a reasonable price and without retention issues.

Reactions: HuskerHarley

Jaybotics

macrumors newbie
Sep 13, 2014
Hello everyone!

I'm looking at upgrading my late 2013 iMac to one of the new ones, but the last iMac I purchased had the dreaded yellow tint issue. After sending it back to repair, that was resolved and been using it ever since with no issues, apart from it is now showing its age (photography and video have evolved quite a lot since then).
Can anyone let me know if this has been resolved? Are the screens uniform in colour/warmth?
I understand that no screen is perfect, but I'd like to know before pulling the trigger on another purchase and avoid the back and forth to the shop/repair etc.

Thanks so much.
:)

No issues whatsoever with the screen, it's absolutely stunning.

ferencav

macrumors member
Mar 31, 2019
I am very happy with the 5K resolution compared to my iMac 2012. But I think the white is a bit reddish compared to the 2012. Anyone else experiencing this?

amoergosum

macrumors 6502
Oct 20, 2008
Part of the left side of my iMac i9’s screen looks warmer than the right sight. Here’s a picture (notice the grey background color). Can you guys check yours (just open any tweet to have the same test conditions):

Attachments

• 8771AAC2-DA51-43D5-9E4C-82CBB3F93CE5.jpeg
    8771AAC2-DA51-43D5-9E4C-82CBB3F93CE5.jpeg
    2.8 MB · Views: 241

Mark_EL

macrumors member
Mar 20, 2019
Netherlands
Well... when it comes to displaying correct colours, I trust my Eizo ColorEdge monitor more than my iMac screen, but I must say that the uniformity of the iMac screen is pretty good though and it shows much less IPS glow than my Eizo...

I have colour calibrated both my Eizo and my iMac, using the X-Rite i1Display pro colorimeter. I first calibrated my Eizo, using the Colornavigator 7 software (the Eizo has hardware calibration) and then calibrated the iMac screen, using the i1 software, based on measuring the white point and black point of the Eizo. Unfortunately its impossible to make them appear the same. The iMac always looks a bit more saturated. It looks great, but just not as accurate..

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.