New iMac 21" 256gb ssd. Long boot up times

Discussion in 'iMac' started by oleus, Feb 10, 2014.

1. oleus, Feb 10, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 10, 2014

oleus macrumors newbie

Hey guys

Received my new 21" iMac (256gb flash, 16gb ram, 3.1ghz i7). Everything is working great, except for one thing I have noticed after a weekend of working with it.

The boot up time seems extremely long. This is especially worrisome since it has a ssd, and I know those boot up almost immediately (put one in my Mac mini and it was an almost instant boot).

Is this the sign of a bad ssd or some other boot up error I might be able to fix ? Once it's on it's blazing fast , I've been transferring files via usb3 and thunderbolt at amazing speeds and doing renders in half the time I am used to, so I would imagine if something is wrong it's something related to the boot sequence.

----------

Just timed it - again, 5.5 minutes of the white apple screen and the revolving icon before I get to my log on screen. It was actually longer this time for my stopwatch testing than previously.

I used migration assistant from a full backup of my Mac mini -- should I do a clean install ? Could it be related to the migration ?

2. xraydoc macrumors 604

xraydoc

We lost power last night. Come morning, I went to reboot my 2013 iMac. All I got was the tone and a grey/white screen. I waited several minutes and the Apple logo finally popped up. After several more minutes of nothing, I shut the machine off, unplugged the USB and Thunderbolt devices and turned the machine back on. It rebooted basically instantly. I plugged back in the USB hub the Thunderbolt drives and they mounted right away.

Not sure what's up, but I haven't had a chance to troubleshoot yet.

So, try disconnecting your devices and rebooting.

3. oleus thread starter macrumors newbie

Just tried this , didn't work

Doing a clean mavericks install on the ssd

4. biohead macrumors 6502

Did you boot into recovery mode and do a repair disk using disk utility? Possibly quite a few permissions faults.

5. torana355 macrumors 68020

I had the same issue, i did a clean install of mavericks and all is well.

6. MartinAppleGuy macrumors 68020

MartinAppleGuy

My HDD boots in 30 seconds. The clean install should defiantly help/a format.

7. oleus thread starter macrumors newbie

i must have been doing something wrong - after initiating the recovery install, it appeared to be doing the internet recovery (downloading for about 45 minutes) but after that was finished, it restarted and sent me to my original login screen and nothing on the computer had been changed.

i had to give up because it was late, i will try again after work.

8. xraydoc macrumors 604

xraydoc

Not necessarily. Reinstalling OS X won't wipe your apps or settings, so you may not be able to even tell it was reinstalled (other than hopefully fixing your bugs).

9. oleus thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks for the help - when i am back home later i will test things out.

i'm fairly confident it's something that can be cured, since there aren't any performance issues once it's booted up.

if there is still a long boot time after reinstalling the OS, i'll do the disk repair option.

10. adamj575 macrumors 6502

adamj575

reboot with cmd-r and then erase the disk using disk utility then reinstall osx. this will ensure a clean install

11. jvette macrumors 6502

jvette

Wow, that is long. I have the 512 ssd in my 27" i7 and it boots in 16 seconds. I just timed it. If I hook up my usb drives it boots in 21 seconds.

12. oleus thread starter macrumors newbie

sorry for the delay in getting back to this thread.

a clean install did indeed fix everything. even with all of my usb3 and a thunderbolt drive attached, now it boots up in less than 15 seconds.

thanks for the help to all in the thread