New iMac 21.5 PS3/Xbox 360 Question

Discussion in 'iMac' started by KrisEagling, Jul 29, 2011.

1. KrisEagling macrumors member

KrisEagling

Hi All

Please forgive me if this has been asked before, the details are a little sketchy on the forum and other places.

My brother has an xbox 360/ps3, I would be using the iMac as a replacement for my Macbook and our TV. We don't actually use it as a TV just to use the games consoles on.

So I know you used to be able to use the mini display port with an adaptor but I have been told that with the new Thunderbolt port you can't do this anymore.

Has anyone with the new iMac found a workaround or is it just not possible anymore, as this is kind of a must if I'm to buy an iMac.

Thanks
    Kris

2. Andythed macrumors member

There is no adapter for the PS3 that will work on the new imac's thunderbolt connection.

However, Kanex are supposedly working on one......

Either wait for an adapter to be made, or alternatively get the 2010 27" model with mdp and buy one of the existing adapters.

3. Dresevski macrumors 6502

The adapters will be very expensive and it may be cheaper for you to just buy a separate 27-32" LCD for you system. If you are happy with that size (playing it on the iMac) you would have a better setup in my opinion.

Look for the adapters to be about $300.