Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

akpsperi

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 21, 2009
I bought a brand new piece of 24'' iMac from Apple store in June.
It has been a beautiful sexy machine.

I was away for a month for a vacation. I shutdown the machine, removed power cables and covered the machine with a white cloth (preventing dust accumulation).
1. Frosty/misty display:
After one month I restarted and I found a white mist formation on right hand side bottom corner. The shape of the mist/frost looked exactly like a perfect statistical standard distribution curve. I could not see download and other icons in that area. The appearence of those icons is just like viewing them through tinted glass (glass you have for shower glass in bathrooms).

2. Circuit/temparature sensor problem:
I called Apple and they dispatched a new display. The engineer from a Apple authorized unit came 2 days later and fixed new display. Right after fixing it, the temparature sensor failed and the fan kicked in generating loud noise. The engg. requested another display to be dispatched and I waited and after 3 days, he came back with new display.

3. Blue-Red-orange lines:
The 2nd new display was fixed and he left. While the tech is in his driveway, I noticed blue-red-orange lines running from right side top to bottom. These lines are 0.1 to 0.5 inch in size and flickr when moused over. I called the tech, and he came right back in and requested for another display piece.

This is the story till now. I requested the machine be displaced, but I was told that this is a cosmetic issue and only the display will be replaced and not the machine.

I am waiting for new display.

this actually proves that 24 inch iMac have significant display problems.

I will post the continuation of this story after the new display arrives and fixed.

My question to you:

Can I ask for a replacement instead? Have any one faced this problem and got a new piece.

Thank you.

cawesjmu

macrumors 6502
Apr 4, 2004
Richmond, VA
this actually proves that this 24 inch iMac has significant display problems.

My question to you:

Can I ask for a replacement instead? Have any one faced this problem and got a new piece.
Fixed that for you ^
Usually after 3 repairs of the same issue they replace the machine.

Hellhammer

Moderator emeritus
Dec 10, 2008
Finland
Yes. There's probably something wrong in your logic board or somewhere because that doesn't sound normal. If Apple refuses to replace it, tell them that you want your money back, because it's ridiculous if it has to be replaced all the time

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.