New iMac 27" 2011 & Unacceptable Kernel Panics

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Prekesh, May 26, 2011.

1. Prekesh, May 26, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 9, 2011

Prekesh macrumors regular

Prekesh

Hey everyone, this might not be the right place to post this (sorry) but I recently bought the new 27" iMac (3,1ghz i5, 4GB ram, 1TB hdd and the 2gb HD 6970M).

It's been a couple of weeks now, and I've had a few kernel panics already.
    Quite annoying :/ I don't know what's causing them. I have a display, an external HDD (500gb) and a wacom hooked up to my iMac, nothing else. I use airport for internet (not ethernet) and I use the magic mouse+keyboard that I got with my iMac.

I've had 5 kernel panics so far, and the logs look very similar. I've uploaded them in a zip. Download 'em here

And here is the latest log, this happened about an hour ago I think. I've disconnected my devices now, to see if it was any of those.

2. Bat6111 macrumors member

Bat6111

I had that issue too. What i did I do a reset PRAM and unplug everything (Power cord too!). Then, hold down the power button for 10 to 15 mins and power up.

for my case, the os x didn't boot up (the screen was stuck at the Apple Logo). So, I just reinstall os x again and now it works find.

try it out because this is just a basic diagnostic. I hope this help! :)

PS. make sure you don't have a third party ram because the third party ram mainly causes the Kernel Panics :apple:

3. Prekesh thread starter macrumors regular

Prekesh

Thanks for the reply :) Yeah I've done all of that too, trying to find the source of the problem. Right now I'm just gonna keep everything disconnected for a while, if it panics again I'll go to the store or something.

I don't have anything 3rd party yet, it's all the same stuff I got when I bought it a couple weeks ago :p

4. Prekesh thread starter macrumors regular

Prekesh

So I kept getting kernel panics and I called Apple again, they're going to send me another iMac. Hopefully this one doesn't have the same problems.

5. Prekesh, Jun 9, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 9, 2011

Prekesh thread starter macrumors regular

Prekesh

Okay, in case anyone else has the same problem as me. I got the replacement iMac sent to me, and it has a dead pixel (which is very noticeable), so I'm getting another replacement. But I then got the same kernel panics as the previous one, after I got off the phone with Apple about the dead pixel. This shocked me to be honest, I thought that this machine was fine, but no.

Then I did a clean install and let my first iMac (which I still have, courier hasn't picked it up yet) just sit idle for a few hours, nothing connected (only a magic mouse), not in my room (in case anything in here was causing them) and it still kernel panicked :(

This new one has the same panics as the other one (logs look very similar), random and I don't know what's causing them. The logs don't really point to anything specific. I haven't called Apple about the panics on this one, yet, but I thought I'd update this thread with my problem, in case someone else buys the same spec iMac as me and has the same problem.

I doubt it could be any files, since the only files I transferred from my older Macbook, are:

Photoshop/illustrator files,
    Image files,
    Pages documents,
    iTunes library (so apps, music etc),
    and that's about it really.

I'm very disappointed :( I'm being sent another one (which shipped today), but do I stick with it or just return it and get a refund? I really like the machine when it's working, it's perfect for me, but the kernel panics aren't acceptable.

In case anyone can help, heres one of the kernel panic logs: