New iMac 27.5 with i7 processor

Discussion in 'iMac' started by sgtjiggy, Sep 3, 2012.

1. sgtjiggy macrumors newbie

It's about time to retire my 2007 iMac 24". I hate to do it because it has run flawlessly for almost 6 years (in January). I have upgraded two things in that time, RAM and replaced my 320 GB hard drive with a 1 TB drive only because I was running out of space.

I want a faster processor and have my eye on the i7. I work with iMovie and other editing programs. I also like to run my elgato tv software. I run VMware because i have to run certain IBM and Windows software. Would the i5 processor fit my needs or should i just go with the i7. Or is there a faster processor that will be out in the next 6 months?

2. WesCole macrumors 6502a

I would wait until October to buy one since there are rumors of a refresh in September.

That said, the i7 is a good processor. For VMs, the i5 would probably be fine, but if you do a lot of encoding, I would spring for the i7. The main thing with VMs is RAM, but you can upgrade that yourself for a lot less than Apple charges. Also, Thunderbolt allows you to add an SSD at a later time...that is what will make your iMac much faster for everyday computing.

3. Swordylove macrumors 6502a

Swordylove

I didn't know you could customize the screen size.

4. sgtjiggy thread starter macrumors newbie

Oops on the size I beg your forgiveness. Been looking at so many different configurations I stole .5 inches from the 21 inch model. I'll give it back.