New Imac 27" and future gaming

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Maniia, May 7, 2011.

1. Maniia macrumors newbie

Hello, I've got a few questions about the new Imac 27" 3.1, before I go out and spend 2.883$(The danish price in $) on the beast.
    So, I'm gaming a lot, but when I'm not gaming, I'm working in Photoshop and programs like that. Already got a MBP 15", but it's not my primary PC, but it did make me want to make the switch from my primary system (Win7 PC) to Mac. Love the OS.

Anyways, I saved up some cash for a new system and I'm considering the new Imac as it just got a good update. But my question is, will it be able to run games like Diablo 3 and more importantly Battlefield 3 when they come? I'm not a GFX slut, I can settle with around medium settings, I just want to be sure that I can run BF3 and D3 smoothly when the time comes, without having to run everything on very low. Also, I think BF3 will set the bar for graphics in 2012, so if you can run BF, you should be able to run everything else :p

So yea, what do you guys think. Will I be able to run games for the next year or two without low fps and to low settings, if I choose the new Imac. I know I can get a kickass system for around 2k, thats way better, but I'm not just about the specs. I love the design, the features, the fact that I will be working in Mac OS when I'm not gaming and more.

And finally, do I need some extra cables to plug in my ACD? I didnt see a mini-display port on the back of it? :/

2. dh2005 macrumors 6502a

Well, I can't say for sure about a game that hasn't yet come out - some games are released with shamelessly stupid requirements (Crysis, anyone...?!), but they're rare. Thank Christ.

I think you'll be fine, mate. Currently 'new' games like Crysis 2 and Portal 2 are running well on High+ settings. That will taper gradually but, next year...? I think it'll still be doing a good job. Provided you get the 6970m.

3. dh2005 macrumors 6502a

Sorry...? Which ACD is this?

4. 5piN macrumors member

Apple Cinema Display!

5. dh2005 macrumors 6502a

Yeah, I mean... where is it in your story? It just turns up at the end!!!

What size? How old is it?

6. Icy1007 macrumors 6502a

Icy1007

Is it an older ACD that uses DVI? If so, you can just get a MDP-DVI adaptor.

7. Maniia thread starter macrumors newbie

Alright, good to hear :) Sounds promising. Also just saw a vid of some guy playing Crisis 2 at pretty high settings on the new Imac, so that's cool. And yea, It's the biggest version I'm considering to buy.

And the ACD is a 24, bought last May.

Edit: Also, said " I didnt see a mini-display port on the back of it? :/" So, yea, my ACD uses the Mini-DVI :)

8. dh2005 macrumors 6502a

I think you'll be happy with it, mate. Your needs sound similar to mine.

9. Maniia thread starter macrumors newbie

Yea, after looking around some more, I think so too. Also just noticed that the mini display-port cables works with the Thunderbolt ports, so that's just awesome.