Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

C64

macrumors 65816
Sep 3, 2008
Concerning dead pixels i would try to take it back, although those pixels are small if you know where they are you will see them. :(

But a little question about the wall mounting. Thanks for the pictures by the way. Did you have to take the iMac apart? I'm asking this because it looks like you have to remove the stand it comes with and that looks bolted inside the machine.

So confusing this when i look at my back of the iMac. :confused:

Check out this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cmm7jWU-g2s

Few minutes and you're done :)

Imola Ghost

macrumors 65816
Mar 21, 2009
I got one dead or stuck pixel on my 27" iMac. Should I take it back also? It doesn't really bother me but then I did pay a lot for this thing. Is one pixel enough to worry about or what?

Ideas?

Anxo

macrumors newbie
Oct 15, 2009
I got one dead or stuck pixel on my 27" iMac. Should I take it back also? It doesn't really bother me but then I did pay a lot for this thing. Is one pixel enough to worry about or what?

Ideas?

That's really your choice, some people will find it frustrating and annoying to have a dead pixel and will return it, some people however are not really too bothered about them or don't want to go through the trouble with returning it.

If its distracting you and annoying you then I would say return it, otherwise I wouldn't bother unless more start showing up.

doofoo

macrumors member
Sep 13, 2006
Some pics for you. It's mounted in my Kitchen.

The bracket was not hard to put on screw the middle in first so the side holes will line up. Took me about 5 minutes

Very nice.. What bracket is this? Do you have a link? Your kitchen is exactly the same as mine, the iMac there would be perfect for me.

oneflow

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 24, 2009
Very nice.. What bracket is this? Do you have a link? Your kitchen is exactly the same as mine, the iMac there would be perfect for me.

I got the bracket from Microcenter it was orginally used for a smaller screen but seems to work just fine.

http://microcenter.com/single_product_results.phtml?product_id=0304124

Now that's an interesting place to put a computer. What made u pick that spot?

I used to have a machine in the kitchen and it got used a ton so i upgraded to something nicer. usually I watch tv or listen to music but it's also good for recipes.

Very cool. where did you get the bracket/arm? Was there other parts you had to get from Apple? Thanks.

So above i had the link for the arm. here is the link for the vesa adapter. you don't need to take the imac apart you just take the stand off and attach the adapter.

http://store.apple.com/us/product/MC434ZM/A?fnode=MTY1NDA5OQ&mco=MTMzNzcxNjU&s=newest

fluffyx

macrumors 6502
Oct 25, 2007
1) It is 100% possible to return something purchased online to the Apple Retail Store, as long as it is not refurbished and not custom-built. The darndest things can cause your machine to be considered "custom-built," such as having them preinstall iWork, upgrade your RAM, or bundle a video adapter.

2) You're within the 14-day return policy, so you have every right to return the iMac. Officially, you should be charged a 10% restocking fee, but in my experience, almost any Apple Store or telephone support agent will waive this fee in your situation.

I got a custom-built PowerBook in 2003. The day I received it, I noticed a stuck blue pixel. I immediately called 800-MY-APPLE. The agent was very helpful and stated that, normally, a single stuck pixel on that screen would be "acceptable." However, because I was within the return policy, he was willing to waive the restocking fee and would even email a prepaid shipping label to send the PowerBook back. He stated that if the new computer had an "acceptable" number of stuck pixels, that I'd have to live with it. I didn't want to be without the computer for a week (shipping), so I lived with the stuck pixel for two-and-a-half years—until I got my MacBook Pro. In all truth, I only noticed it when watching DVDs.

I wish you the best of luck!

oneflow

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 24, 2009
talked with apple on the phone and they have set me up to bring it back to the store on wed. So i'll let everyone know how it goes. I doubt i'll have an issues after looking a little closer i think i have to 2 spots. one spot is like 4-5 and the other is 1-2. I'll post how it goes after jsut sucks i have to take the mount off and put everything back.

daneoni

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2006
Am i the only who thinks mounting a computer next to a faucet is just asking for trouble?

Broric

macrumors regular
Oct 1, 2009
2) You're within the 14-day return policy, so you have every right to return the iMac. Officially, you should be charged a 10% restocking fee

That's surely illegal under the distance selling regulations (at least in the UK), right?

Serif

macrumors regular
Jul 10, 2008
UK
That's surely illegal under the distance selling regulations (at least in the UK), right?

Absolutely. And the comment above about them being able to wriggle out of obligations because it was custom built would be grounds to land them in the small claims court if they were daft enough to even think about it.

Sometimes, just sometimes, it's an advantage to live in the UK. :)

QCassidy352

macrumors G5
Mar 20, 2003
Bay Area
Consider that the display on the 27" iMac has 3.68 million pixels. Even if you are producing LCD panels with a defect rate of 1 in 10 million, that still means that one panel in 3 will have a defect in it. Go even further and consider each subpixel and you have a display with 10 million pixels, thus to get even a 1 in 10 throwaway rate for LCD panels you need to produce LCD panels with a defect rate of 1 in 100 million (that's 99.999999%). For each order of magnitude the defect rate goes down, the cost to produce probably rises by an order of magnitude as well.

Yes the process has improved with time and the manufacturing costs are decreasing thus you are able to have a higher tolerance, but even $1500 or $2000, is not enough to make a guaranteed zero pixel defect practical or profitable for a display this size. $2000 may seem like a lot of money for an average person, but the fact of the matter is that it is pocket change compared to the production tolerance required to guarantee a flawless display. Aircraft parts are typically required to have a defect rate of one in one billion flight hours which is why a bolt that goes on an airplane costs fifty dollars when the same bolt in the hardware store costs ten cents. Or why they use 286 processors in the flight computer and it costs hundreds of thousands of dollars to buy.

Ruahrc

Very good post. perfection is just not possible, and asking apple (or more accurately, the LED maker) to even approach perfection is just asking for us all to pay a hell of a lot more. I know everyone wants perfection, but honestly one dead pixel out of over 3 million is not bad and really shouldn't affect your experience.

C64

macrumors 65816
Sep 3, 2008
Very good post. perfection is just not possible, and asking apple (or more accurately, the LED maker) to even approach perfection is just asking for us all to pay a hell of a lot more. I know everyone wants perfection, but honestly one dead pixel out of over 3 million is not bad and really shouldn't affect your experience.
Regardless of what can be expected production-wise, one can still reasonably expect that the product (s)he buys is in perfect condition. When buying groceries, some people just get what's right in front of them, others inspect each product and select the best one. It's the same here imho; you simply select the product that you deem best for you, and less picky folks will buy the ones you skipped. Everyone's happy.

Ruahrc

macrumors 65816
Jun 9, 2009
Regardless of what can be expected production-wise, one can still reasonably expect that the product (s)he buys is in perfect condition. When buying groceries, some people just get what's right in front of them, others inspect each product and select the best one. It's the same here imho; you simply select the product that you deem best for you, and less picky folks will buy the ones you skipped. Everyone's happy.

I think the catch-up here though are the words "reasonably expect" and "perfect condition". Knowing the manufacturing tolerances on a modern LCD, is it reasonable to expect that you should be guaranteed an iMac with zero dead pixels? And then there is always the difference of what Apple "reasonably expects" a "perfect" iMac to be and what you "reasonably expect" a "perfect" iMac to be. And unfortunately when push comes to shove, it's Apple that usually wins that one.

There is some wiggle room in that (at least one would like to think) they want you to be happy with your purchase. Therefore, while you are able to go back to the store and see if they can help you out, if your iMac does not clearly fall within their dead pixel policy technically they have no obligation to do anything about it. Going back 20 times with a "faulty" iMac to get it exchanged probably isn't going to work, and I'd side with Apple on it too. Could Apple guarantee zero dead pixels on all their iMacs? Sure, but would you pay $20,000 for an iMac?

Needlessly exchanging computers that have (supposedly) passed the QA procedures at the factory to fulfill one's unreasonable expectations only makes the computer cost be higher for everyone involved.

Ruahrc

spcdust

macrumors 65816
May 6, 2008
London, UK

To achieve perfection in monitors you pay for it - Grade 1 HD Broadcast monitor goes for about £12000 - £16000 British Sterling.

Serif

macrumors regular
Jul 10, 2008
UK
To achieve perfection in monitors you pay for it - Grade 1 HD Broadcast monitor goes for about £12000 - £16000 British Sterling.

That may be the case, and there maybe other requirements in this case in addition to being pixel perfect that push the price up astronomically, but if you do a Google search for zero dead pixel guarantee you'll find that many mainstream monitor manufacturers such as Dell, Viewsonic and Samsung all offer guaranteed pixel perfect monitors whilst still being competitive on price.

mtnDewFTW

macrumors 6502a
Oct 26, 2009
San Francisco, CA
I've found that sometimes when you push down on the screen(lightly) on the dead pixel, it tends to go away, but those aren't called dead pixels, they're called something else.

Anyway, you should just push down on where the pixel is, and it might go away if you get it back in its place.
i've had that on my laptop before, and my ipod touch.
that worked for me both times.

good luck,and if it doesn't work, i'd recommend getting it replaced.
why would you want to live with that?
Apple will most likely replace it if it's still in the replacement days.

caligurl

macrumors 68040
Jun 8, 2009
socal
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.