New iMac 27" i7, or new 15" i7 MBP+27" ACD?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by katyoshi, Jul 27, 2010.

1. katyoshi macrumors 6502

What would be better and a better deal?
    New iMac 27" i7, or new 15" i7 MBP+27" ACD?

See my sig to see my current MBP. If I get the iMac, I was going to keep my current MBP. If I get a 15" i7, then I would give my current laptop to my mom and also buy for myself, the new 27" ACD when it comes out.

The mac mini and 24" ACD I have would go into my other living room for "family use computer".

2. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

how old are you? what features do you need it for? how demanding are you? will you be running any VMs? how much RAM are you currently using?

and most importantly - do you need the portability?

personally, imac for me. but if you need the portability, then the MBP. its a simple equation.

3. katyoshi thread starter macrumors 6502

I'm 24, an RN, in grad nurse practitioner school with one year left of it, not so demanding. I enjoyed the larger screen on my 24" because I could keep proper posture well while sitting at the desk, papers were easy to do with a large PDF file on the side while I'm doing research papers. Not complaining on doing work on the MBPs though. I also want a bigger screen because I cancelled my cable TV since I can watch shows, news, movies with netflix from the internet when I'm in my room. Mostly for entertainment purposes.

I do need portability. Thats why if I get the iMac, I was going to keep my current MBP.

4. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

i can highly suggest that you got for the 27" imac then - you might not need the i7 machine, even the C2D (or i3) ones would be fine for you! the i7 will certainly last many more years usability wise for future updates etc though.

your call in the end i guess :D

5. katyoshi thread starter macrumors 6502

Your response is tempting to pull the trigger on a huge ass imac! I wanna go for the i7 since it would have the "fastest" imac. For entertainment purposes, I believe the best speed and memory is what I need to enjoy without making a fuss. :) I plan on buying Starcraft 2 as well to play during down times. I know some other people would tell me to go for the i3 but I'll opt for the i7. Anyone else got opinions? There are ups and downs right? I know getting the imac would have me work with two computers. Though I have mobileme, ever feel like neglecting one or the other?:confused:

6. jdavtz macrumors 6502a

Why not just get the 27" monitor?

It doesn't sound like a new laptop is very necessary (does the new MBP do anything your 2009 model doesn't?), so the new display gives you the big screen at desk, and portability when away from it.

If you then decide to give away the "old" MBP, you can still plug in either a new MBP or an iMac or an Air or whatever other computer you like and decide fits your lifestyle well, into the 27" monitor.

7. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

tbh, i HATE having 2 computers. its SO frustrating trying to sync everything. i will eventually get it sorted out by using a central server to store all my user account information, but thats not exactly an easy task.

but yeh - go the i7 most certainly if you are happy with that idea :) goodluck!

8. danthespaceman macrumors member

Buy a refurbished 27" Core i5 ($1699) Spend the money you would have saved from buying the MBP / 27 ACD combo on an Ipad.

9. foshizzle macrumors regular

if you weren't aware - the 27" iMac can be used as an external monitor. The monitor port can be used an either output or input. Just get a mini displayport to mini displayport cable (from monoprice.com) and plug the mbp or mac mini into it if you want. Get a low end 27" and a macbook pro.

I'll help you spend money if you have it.