New iMac 27" Processors

Discussion in 'iMac' started by george-brooks, Oct 23, 2012.

1. george-brooks macrumors 6502a

george-brooks

I notice that the maximum option for the new 27" is a 3.4 GHz quad core i7, which was the same max option on the old model. Obviously the slower processor options have received a bit of a bump, but is this specific option the same as the old gen, or is it a newer generation 3.4 i7?

2. Black Diesel macrumors member

exactly what I'm wondering, what is the performance gain of the new iMac if it's using the same 3.4ghz quad core other than that fusuion drive? It can't be much right?

3. george-brooks thread starter macrumors 6502a

george-brooks

Specs for the 2600 from the old model say turbo boost up to 3.8 Ghz, whereas apple's specs for the new processor say turbo boost up to 3.9 GHz, so probably a new processor? Sounds like it may be a 3770, which would indeed be an upgrade.

4. leman macrumors 604

The old model max CPU was i7-2600, the new one is i7-3770. The performance gain in CPU-intensive applications is around 10%. The new CPU consumes less power though and thus generates less heat.

5. george-brooks thread starter macrumors 6502a

george-brooks

Excellent, my hypothesis is proven correct!
    Thanks for the answer

6. karpich1 macrumors regular

Well, from what I recall, the jump from Sandy to Ivy was supposed to give a near-negligible performance bump with non-overclocked CPUs. Like 10% or something.

So I guess that can account for something.

Really, the only BIG thing holding back iMacs are the GPUs. And with a high-end 27" you're doing a lot better in that department with the 2012's over the 2011's. So overall gaming+CAD performance will go up.

And I guess Hybrid/Fusion drives might be faster than the *average* (non-BTO) HDDs in the 2011's thus giving another minor boost.

7. george-brooks thread starter macrumors 6502a

george-brooks

Most of the geekbench results for the iMac 13,2 say it is using either a 3770 or 3770k, and all of them are saying it is clocked at 3.5 GHz, is this the case?

Edit: Intel's literature also states 3.5 GHz for the 3770. Is this a typo on apple.com?

8. Black Diesel macrumors member

Okay, so you're basically saying that I would get an approx 10% peformance gain from the new iMac likely to be close to 3K compared to this 2011 refurb?

http://store.apple.com/us/product/G0M73LL/A

9. leman macrumors 604

3770 is 3.4ghz. You are looking at the k version.

----------

For CPU-intensive task, yes. For most of the tasks you won't notice a difference. Sorry if you are disappointed but faster CPUs simply do not exists :)

On the other hand, the GPU difference is massive.

10. Black Diesel macrumors member

Okay, but I'm not gaming, just Lightroom and FCP so not sure I need the extra GPU. I probably won't notice the difference from the max'd out 3.4ghz 2011 to the 3.4ghz 2012 right?

11. george-brooks thread starter macrumors 6502a

george-brooks

So are these machines in the geekbench results with 3770k's internal test models?

Are there any other differences aside from speed between the 3770 and 3770k?

----------

You may notice a difference in Lightroom if you're performing really processor intensive tasks, i.e. a large scale DNG conversion or big export.

FCP X might see a slight difference, but FCP 7 will likely not as it is 32 bit and doesn't even take advantage of the i7 in the first place.

12. leman macrumors 604

The machines you are talking about are most likely hackintoshes. The basic difference between a k and a non-k version is that k has an unlocked multiplier, so it is oriented at gamers/overclockers.

13. george-brooks thread starter macrumors 6502a

george-brooks

I doubt they are hackintoshes. All have this motherboard: Apple Inc. Mac-FC02E91DDD3FA6A4

See for yourself: http://browser.primatelabs.com/geekbench2/search?q=imac13,2