New iMac 27" Random Shutdown

Discussion in 'iMac' started by clarkb33, Apr 29, 2013.

1. clarkb33 macrumors newbie

I've had my new 27" iMac since January. It randomly shuts down sometimes. When I go to turn it back on, it shows a greyed out version of the desktop for a bit then turns back on, just like my macbook does when the battery runs out. Is this a known issue or should I just take it in to the store?

2. harlex macrumors member

Not knowing the specs it is hard to say, but I have a fully loaded top spec 27 inch iMac and I have not heard of the problem you are experiencing.
    Have you done any updates?
    Have you added any new programmes?
    Have you added any virus checking programmes?
    In fact what have you done since you bought it.

3. Bear macrumors G3

Do you have your iMac plugged in to a UPS? If so, is the UPS working properly? If the UPS is not working properly, get that taken care of first. If the UPS is working properly, it's probably a hardware issue in the Mac.

If you don't have a UPS, it could be the power going in to your computer or your iMac.

4. clarkb33 thread starter macrumors newbie

Here's the config:
    •3.4GHz Quad-core Intel Core i7, Turbo Boost up to 3.9GHz
    •8GB 1600MHz DDR3 SDRAM - 2x4GB
    •1TB Serial ATA Drive @ 7200 rpm
    •NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680MX 2GB GDDR5

When I first got it I installed Sketchup Pro 8, Adobe CS4, and Autocad LT. All updates have been done. I don't think it's a problem with the power or outlets in the house as I have hooked other computers up to the same outlet with no issues. I don't have an UPS.

It only shuts down when it's in sleep mode, not when it's in use.

5. harlex macrumors member

Ah it could be the power settings, go to the apple sign top left of the screen, then to system preferences and then to Energy Saver and alter the settings in there this may very well stop your problem with the adjusting the shut down or sleep times.

----------

Looking at the last line again of your post, it could also be a problem with the hdd, so a visit to the genius bar would be your next move.

6. zackkmac macrumors 6502a

Mine is having the same issue. But rather than shut down, it restarts. Twice today I have put it to sleep only to return to it with the "Your computer shut down because of a problem" dialog and none of my apps open.

Our iMacs share the same processor and graphics card. Wonder if it has anything to do with either.

7. blackbox100 macrumors newbie

Mine is the same config

Since yesterday it has started to freeze about 5 minutes after beeing woke up from sleep, it sounds a stuttering static noise when it freezes and the only option i have is to hit the power switch for 5 seconds

It then starts up once again, but after 5 minutes it freezes with sound stuttering again?

I have had it for about 3 weeks, should i replace it?

Sincerely carsten larsen
    Denmark