New iMac 27" Retina

Discussion in 'iMac' started by karstenjensen, Aug 18, 2015.

1. karstenjensen macrumors newbie

Thinking of buying an iMac 27" Retina - but is no a good time? Wont there soon be an upgrade?

2. Ipadilac macrumors member

Ipadilac

I just received my new 5k today. I think the current offerings are more than decent enough. I chose 256gb SSD and the R9 M295X as the options on mine. and upped the RAM to 24GB. Its a pretty snappy machine and happy with it thus far. so I don't think I will be needing anything faster than this for quite awhile. But if you wanna wait for the next best thing I suppose you could.. but then you will always be waiting for the next best thing?

3. Cape Dave macrumors 68000

I have a similar one, see sig. I have never once in close to a year been disappointed in any way. Quite the opposite. It is the most amazing computer ever. I upped the SSD and stayed with the 8GB. Because with this computer it is all about the monitor. Really. Rock on.

4. Sciuriware macrumors regular

Sciuriware

There will ALWAYS be an update some times, as long as APPLE is there.
    My iMac Retina is the best PC I ever had, so: hurry to the shop.
    ;JOOP!

5. benjissimo macrumors newbie

There will ALWAYS be updates as long as tech is there. ;)

That being true you wouldn't buy an iphone 6 right now unless you had to, with the 6+ coming out in September. The current iMac hasn't really been updated since 2013 and a new model should come out September (according to this site) so it makes sense to me to wait another month or so. That's what I'll be doing.

6. Sciuriware macrumors regular

Sciuriware

Although you are right about this, I would like to point out that greed may be in the way:
    For me 27" is enough, the speed is enough, so is 32Gb memory and 3.5Tb disk.
    Everybody is free to buy the next version, but you should not buy something just because it is there
    or because it is (or seems) bigger, better than the previous version or because your friends got it.
    Most important is to enjoy the wonders of technology that we can afford today.
    Remember: our ancestors could not even have their own computer.
    ;JOOP!

7. gelie, Aug 19, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 19, 2015

gelie macrumors regular

Will the new iMac 27' retina likely have a I7 processor as a standard configuration ?

8. mosher macrumors member

i wouldnt buy fisrt generation product! so better to w8 for 2nd. generation imac with 5k display

9. Liffey macrumors regular

Next Retina will probably be announce around October.

10. henry72 macrumors 65816

henry72

I'd definitely wait! I can't wait to get my first iMac 5K but I don't think it's the right time at the moment. If you can wait, the current model will be cheaper too :)

I also think the new iMac will come with the new keyboard and Magic Mouse 2 :D

11. loekf macrumors 6502

loekf

With no improvements except for BT LE support. I don't expect we'll get a wireless keyboard with a real delete key and numerical keypad. However, both most likely will feature an USB (micro ?) plug for charging.

12. T'hain Esh Kelch macrumors 601

T'hain Esh Kelch

Most likely not. There are not a lot of variables that Apple can sell extras, and the i7 processor is one of the best drivers for extra dollars.

13. cynics macrumors G3

I'd wait unless you desperately need a computer. There is nothing wrong with the current offering but its pretty far into its lifecycle if you are the kind of person that likes the latest and greatest.

What I can tell you is that I've RARELY been impressed with Apples incremental updates. So unless you are waiting for something specific there is no problem getting the current model.