New iMac 27" sky hd

Discussion in 'iMac' started by youlton2007, May 12, 2013.

1. youlton2007 macrumors newbie

Morning All,
    After searching many many pages across all sorts of forums I am totally confused and hoping someone here can help resolve this for me..
    I would like to know if it is possible to connect my sky hd box to the new imac 27" so I can use this display and get rid of my tv. Need to find a solution as this is how I talked the misses into us getting the larger screen :( lol

Look forward to the replies

Thanks

2. PJM82, May 12, 2013
    Last edited: May 12, 2013

PJM82 macrumors member

PJM82

No not directly. You would need some sort of capture device, and I doubt it would be that great an experience. If you have an older sky box you could use the component and sling box it. The DVI equipped Cinema displays would work.

Failing that you have Sky Go with limited channels.

3. DLary macrumors member

EyeTV makes a product that might work. You still need the component outputs form the receiver for HD.

4. youlton2007 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the responses so far. I have looked into slingbox which would have worked but the have now stopped support for it on MAC! Gutted! Oh well
    I have also spoke with black magic who cannot help.

Keep the ideas coming please

----------

Thanks DLary what product would that be?
    T

5. PJM82 macrumors member

PJM82

Maybe the EyeTV Sat but I've never seen the required equipment appear to allow sky tv cards to work in it, but you get free to view sky tv like bbc, itv etc.

6. DLary macrumors member

This might work if you can connect component cables form your Satellite box to the EyeTV box.

http://www.elgato.com/eyetv/eyetv-hd

I use a Slingbox that is connected to the component outputs of my satellite receiver. It transmits HD video across my network to my iMac. This is great especially since the computer doesn't need to be in the same room as the satellite receiver. You can control the receiver and change channel from your computer. When you select full screen, it looks just like an HDTV. It looks like the new Slingbox 500 might be the best choice as it will work with HDMI as well as component outputs. You need a reasonably fast home network for the best picture.

http://www.slingbox.com

7. PJM82 macrumors member

PJM82

Thanks for that - I was waiting for an hdmi enabled device to appear. Didn't realise any were due and all the new Sky boxes no longer have component. Perfect!