new iMac 3.06 Nvidia 130GT freezing

Discussion in 'iMac' started by bertybassett, Mar 11, 2009.

1. bertybassett macrumors newbie

I have received my new iMac 2009 (model) 2.06 4Gb, Nvidia 130GT on Friday. Since then I have applied all the software updates and copied across my files.

The problem is the system has locked up twice since then. All applications freeze (including Finder) but the mouse still works (spinning wheel ) the only thing that I can do it hard reset the computer by the power switch.

Both times I was using VisualHub and a wetern digital USB HD but I don't supect this to be the issue as I have had no previous problems with these item on my old mac.

Has anyone else experienced this issue? Should I contact apple and see what they have to say?

2. maxap macrumors 6502

maxap

Try to check the temperatures of your new machine using SMC Fancontrol ( http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/31029 )...
    If your iMac gets too hot, contact Apple: something is probably wrong.

I hope it is just an OSX or some kind of software incompatibility issue... If not, try to contact Apple. They offer the best customer service and I know it from my own experience... Even if you didn't purchase an Apple Care protection plan for extra 2 years, you have a year of this service with your iMac anyway... So give them a call!

3. bertybassett thread starter macrumors newbie

That was my thinking too. I'll invesitage into the heat problem and get back to Apple if needs be.

4. Queso macrumors G4

Sounds like the problem that affected the first Alu iMacs when they came out. Something to do with the graphics driver if memory serves. Apple released a graphics update which fixed it. As this is another first use for a graphics chipset it could be the same cause.

5. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

How long it took? I mean the graphics update of course

6. amoayeri macrumors newbie

Try to run apple hardware test see if it finds anything.

when you turn on the iMac keep the "D" button pressed on the keyboard.

see this for more info http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1509

7. thunderclap macrumors 6502a

I have the exact same model BerttyBassett and haven't had any issues. It sounds like a hardware issue. As others have recommended, you'll probably want to contact Apple about it.

8. xpipe macrumors regular

Halfway through your description of the problem, I started wondering if there might be a WD hard drive involved. Because I have had a vaguely similar problem with my iMac and a 1TB WD My Book Studio drive. In my case it was a problem with the drive when connected via Firewire 800 (though it works perfectly with USB). It was like the drive would go to sleep and the system would freeze trying to access it, with the spinning beach ball and unresponsive finder and only resolvable with a hard restart. A couple firmware updates have been released since I've had the drive, which I have applied and tried the Firewire800 connection again, always with the same results within a day. I've come to accept the this drive + FW 800 + this computer is just not happening.

Anyway, I am not saying that this is the exact same problem, but since it doesn't cost extra to try, you might want to go a couple days without the WD HD and see what happens.

9. richprice79 macrumors member

I was considering buying the wd mybook studio and a ton of reviews stated the same thing that it locks up osx when it goes to sleep and this can be random.

10. bertybassett thread starter macrumors newbie

It is 2.5" laptop sized HD (My passport) and the iMac locked up again twice, once with the HD connected and once without the HD connected.

My temps with iStat are as follows

HD 58
    CPU A 79
    CUP A Heatsink 61
    GPU 59
    GPU DIODE 69
    GPU heatsink 60

Are these temps normal? They seem shockingly high to me. I would have thought around 40-50c would have been good. Should I contact apple?

BTW it passed the diag tests CD.

11. jmj80 macrumors newbie

hello, i just bought same setup and your temps are alot higher than mine. ive never seen my cpu above 55 and that was running F@H. something seems to be pegging processor. something isnt right. sounds worth a call to the Apple Support Team. hope this helps

12. bertybassett thread starter macrumors newbie

thanx for the reply. This is all the proof I need, I am going to telephone apple tonight.

13. bertybassett thread starter macrumors newbie

has anyone got a telephone number for apple UK that I can using?

14. peskaa macrumors 68020

peskaa

http://www.apple.com/uk/contact/

Phone
    To get technical support over the phone, please call 0870 876 0753. Lines are open Monday-Friday 0800-1945 and Saturday 1000-1745. If your product is within its 90-day complimentary support period or covered by an AppleCare Protection Plan, you will not have to pay for the support. Otherwise, you may purchase per-incident support for £35.