new iMac: 4GB RAM for $73 more!!!

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by roland.g, Aug 8, 2007.

1. roland.g macrumors 603

roland.g

Yesterday I ordered a 2.8ghz 24" iMac with 2GB RAM, a 750GB drive and BT MM, came to $2,469 + tax.

This morning I thought about, looked online at OWC for RAM knowing at some point I would want to upgrade to 4GB. The upgrade was $230 for 2x2GB kit.

I also looked online and noticed that if you select the $1,799 24" model at the Apple Store and select the 2.8ghz, 750GB drive, and BT MM options, it comes to $2,319 + tax. You get 1GB RAM (1 stick) instead of 2.

So I cancelled my order and placed a new order. Then ordered the 4GB kit from OWC. OWC has no tax and offers $2.95 shipping. So between the $150 I saved getting the 1GB version and the tax off that $150, it only cost me $73 more than my original order to get a full 4GB now.

But if you select the $2,299 2.8ghz model it comes with 2GB and there is no option to select only 1GB.

The $500 difference between the 2 models is, $250 CPU (2.4 - 2.8), $150 RAM (1GB - 2GB), and $100 HDD (320GB -500GB, I just happened to also go for the 750GB HDD for another $150).

2. Roy Hobbs macrumors 68000

Roy Hobbs

Don't forget OWC will give you a few bucks for your "old" RAM, $25 I believe.

3. Multimedia macrumors 603

Multimedia

Excellent Loophole Discovery Roland. Could Have Saved Another $125 On HD Oversight

You found an excellent loophole. Good job and thanks for pointing that out.

But you could have saved even more if you put the 750 in yourself after buying the stock HD system. Seagate 750GB HDs (5 year warranty) are only $200 so you could have done that yourself and kept the stock 320GB drive as an external (worth $75) instead of giving Apple more money while they take away the 320 from you. The $250 for the 2.8GHz processor is totally fair as the retail price of that processor is $650.

So you could have pulled it off for $77 LESS had you done the HD correctly.

4. DominusNovus macrumors member

hmmm....

interesting. Now, as a student, the discount for me on the 2.8 is 150 instead of 100 on the 2.4. All sorts of math to figure out here, but its definitely still cheaper.

5. roland.g thread starter macrumors 603

roland.g

Right, except that AFAIK the new iMacs are just like the Intels, not the G5s so the HDD is not user accessible. So then you get into the take the tricky thing apart, etc. and put the new HDD in there. That's a hassle I really don't want. And originally I was looking at the 2.8 stock which came with a 500 so the extra $150 for a 750 while not entirely worth it meant that I got 1.5x storage internally. I have a 500GB Seagate 7200.10 in a Ministack that I will either connect in, or replace into a FW 500 case for time machine.

6. Artful Dodger macrumors 68020

Artful Dodger

Nice loophole and congrats on the soon to be new iMac coming your way. I've been looking around at the ram prices as well and have configured a 24" but with the stock HDD.
    I think the only thing that I'm holding out for is 10.5 and then I'll be getting one as well with the Adobe special buy (Adobe Creative Suite 3 Design Premium @ $349 for EDU).
    What I'll save in the other areas will pay for the Adobe so it's all good :D

Funny I just bought the Apple BT KB & MM but I'm not passing any judgement until I see the new ones in person. Let us know how the new KB handles with your daily needs.
    Enjoy your :apple:

7. roland.g thread starter macrumors 603

roland.g

I tried the new KB yesterday and it is nice. Wish it had feet in the back to flip up for a better angle/higher tilt, but then again I was using it at an Apple Store standing, so when sitting at my desk I'm sure it will be fine. I too have the older BT KB & MM for my Mini so I may continue using my BT KB.

As far as 10.5, if you get EDU discounts, 10.5 should be about $69. At that price why wait, get the iMac now and upgrade the OS in the fall.

Me as much as I want 10.5 I think I will wait to buy until there is a 10.5.1 or 10.5.2. Let the bugs get worked out and let all the apps get updated for compatability. At least I will wait to hear what bugs there are, etc., so unlike the iMac it won't be a day 1 purchase.

8. Roy Hobbs macrumors 68000

Roy Hobbs

After seeing the whopping $8 student discount on iLife and iWork I have a feeling we wont be seeing a $69 student leopard.

9. roland.g thread starter macrumors 603

roland.g

That's what it has been in the past, and I'm pretty sure that's what the iLife and iWork EDU prices were too. Those weren't discounted as heavily as the OS and the PRO suites.

10. Artful Dodger macrumors 68020

Artful Dodger

True about the bugs. It's so hard to tell about some things at the Apple stores such as a KB since you are standing and not at a desk. I just don't know about the new BT KB since I use the F14-16 keys for Flash but I could change those hot keys around some if need be.
    I think the most important thing I need to see is the new screen compaired to my 20" iMac that has the matte, gloss might be a nice welcome, for at least me since my art studio is in my finished basement.
    I just might be off to the Apple Store next week to check the iMacs out.

So if you don't mind me asking are you a heavy PS/Illustrator/Flash user or more moderate? I ask since the 24" has a nice video card and can hold 4GB of Ram which for me is just right. Also I can't afford to get a Mac Pro with a 23" monitor and 4GB of Ram either.

11. roland.g thread starter macrumors 603

roland.g

I used to do more PS, no Illustrator or Flash really, and still do some PS, but not as much. I really use my Mac nowadays for more the iPhoto, iMovie, Handbrake, Web, and Mail stuff though that may change in the next few months. I am starting a biz that has a design component to it. I also want to move onto FCE HD once they release a new version, I think it has been 3.5 for quite a while and it shouldn't be too far behind the new FCS. But will also have to see what improvements they made to iMovie. I like the whole library feature vs. importing clips per project. Same with Aperture, once I see what iPhoto '08 is like and the new features, if I really want/need Aperture at all. Added to which I am looking to get back into photography more and get a Nikon D-series body as well as a negative scanner.

12. Le Big Mac macrumors 68020

Le Big Mac

Yeah, putting in new memory is a bit easier than moving all the preinstalled system software to a new drive and installing. Memory is certainly the easiest way to save some money upgrading from someoneother than apple.

13. umgolfer macrumors regular

Actually they were $49 each (and my university was actually selling them for $39), so it is a rather large increase in price. Not as bad I guess since there is an entire new program in iWork, but $50 was still really nice...