new iMac 5K invalid serial number?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Jason32, Oct 26, 2015.

1. Jason32 macrumors member

Hi guys,

I got my new imac last friday but my serial number is showing invalid when i try to check the warranty status. How long does it take to show up?

Also I got it from the HE store online do I get 3 yr warranty? I am from UK.

2. Jamesk811 macrumors 6502

This is so strange...as I always do when I receive a new Apple product I go to my support profile and register it for warranty purposes.

With my new iMac 27" late 2015 model, it says my serial number doesn't exist, I've been passed between 4 different Apple advisors and they don't know what the problem is. My serial number is the same on "about my iMac", under my iMac stand actually imprinted to the iMac, my iMac box and my apple order invoice.

It just does not exist at all on Apple systems. Has anyone else had this problem ??

3. Jamesk811 macrumors 6502

Having same issue. Apple is baffled about why.

4. Jason32 thread starter macrumors member

I contacted them the first tier support had no clue about it so now some other support team is supposed to call me today.

5. whodatrr macrumors 6502a

whodatrr

Sounds like Apple is just having some data integration issues. Sometimes it takes a while for such data to be integrated, assuming you didn't buy your new iMac from the trunk of a 1972 Lada... LOL

6. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 603

Oooooh 1972 Lada haven't seen one of those in decades.... god they were were rubbish.

7. merkinmuffley macrumors 6502a

Sloppy work on the part of the Apple.

8. Jamesk811 macrumors 6502

5 advisors later and the best I get is being told I have a "haunted iMac" and this is something so rare they have never seen it before... I think it's just a matter of waiting until they get their stuff sorted out. Meanwhile...I paid $3500 AUD for an iMac that doesn't exist...haha

9. Picard323 macrumors newbie

Picard323

Same issues here, Tried several times to register it and it says "invalid serial"

10. Jamesk811 macrumors 6502

So it seems it's not as "rare" as Apple are making it out to me

11. Picard323 macrumors newbie

Picard323

Rang support today and after talking to them and them doing a screen share to get serial number and checking my invoice, it turned out that my serial was wrong on about the Mac section and on the base. Where iMac serial was telling me a 5 it should have been a S, it was clearly a 5 and the support guy spoke to his supervisor and had my serial changed to what my iMac was saying. In the end my iMac is now registered to my Apple ID.
    Hope this helps anyone else with the same problem.

12. Jason32 thread starter macrumors member

Shared my screen with them and after checking things they told me that the number is not in their system and it would take 5 working days to get sorted, so maybe sometime next week.

13. Textureboy macrumors 6502

Textureboy

14. Jason32 thread starter macrumors member

15. Jamesk811 macrumors 6502

Was it after you tried your serial again? Or did it happen automatically?

16. Jason32 thread starter macrumors member

They called me to discuss the issue and then fixed it. My computer had no warranty they asked me to send them a screen grab of about this Mac page.