new iMac 5K USB hub issue.

Discussion in 'iMac' started by ansabakhan, Oct 25, 2014.

1. ansabakhan macrumors 65816

ansabakhan

I got my new iMac, the problem is that my iMac wont boot with this hub (below)attached, I am guessing OS X Yosemite is not liking the hub? is there any solution to this ?

Anker® USB 3.0 Aluminum 13-Port Hub + 5V 2.1A Smart Charging Port with 12V 5A Power Adapter [VIA VL812-B2 Chipset]

2. zmip macrumors newbie

My Satechi USB 3.0 hub is acting up on my 5K iMac too. It's not a boot issue like yours, rather my riMac will not sleep when this hub is attached. It's goes into sleep mode for about two seconds, then wakes up. I've narrowed it down to the Satechi 10-port USB 3.0 hub.

This hub worked fine with my late 2013 iMac running Mountain Lion. I'm not sure if it's Yosemite or the 5K iMac.

I'd love to hear from anyone here with a 5K iMac if their USB 3.0 hub works, and if so what model it is.

3. onefish2 macrumors member

onefish2

I just picked up a USB 3 Aukey 7 port powered hub and its working fine for me.

4. Mindinversion macrumors 6502

Mindinversion

5. zmip macrumors newbie

6. Mindinversion, Dec 15, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 16, 2014

Mindinversion macrumors 6502

Mindinversion

Yessir, 2014 RiMac 5k. i5 stock trim [1 TB fusion drive, M290x]

Bears repeating, I have an external SSD I threw into an old seagate 2.5" unpowered external drive cage. it's hooked to one of the USB 3.0 ports on the hub, and I have had no issues whatsoever with booting, running programs, etc [it's actually faster than the fusion drive]

7. dyn macrumors 68030

I saw a similar issue with a unpowered usb3 minihub from StarTech. However, this model also has some issues with my Surface Pro 2 whenever I hook up 3 to 4 devices. Clearly the minihub is too underpowered to handle it in combination with my Surface Pro 2. I'm now using a different but powered usb3 disk dock with 3 usb ports and this one works fine (nice speeds, uasp support and no strange behaviour with sleep and boot). I recall something about usb3 and hubs not going so well, could be just that.

8. zmip macrumors newbie

The issue I'm having with the Satechi USB 3.0 hub is not about power (or lack of). My 5K iMac just immediately wakes up when the hub is attached. Note that this also happens when no peripherals are plugged into the hub.

I've ordered an Anker USB 3.0 hub which hopefully behaves better (although I read in many threads here that it's mostly the fault of Apple's USB 3.0 implementation that causes so many hubs to fail).

9. dyn macrumors 68030

I wasn't talking about your hub, I was talking about mine which causes the exact same behaviour which is discussed in the opening post of this thread. Your issue is quite different.

USB hubs have always caused issues which is why those things are usually not supported (same with extension cables). There are many hubs failing with Windows, Linux and FreeBSD machines both USB2 and USB3. There are also many devices that have huge issues when being hooked up to a USB3 port (lot of manufacturers advice to use a USB2 port or a USB2 cable to force a fallback to USB2). Bit difficult to say if it really is mostly Apple's fault. The Anker USB3 products seem to be working fine with Macs if you look at the experiences with it on MacRumors.