New iMac 5k using up all my ram?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by dannygdesigns, Oct 29, 2014.

1. dannygdesigns macrumors newbie

Hi guys, Got my iMac 27inch retina today and used the setup assistant to transfer everything from my old iMac 21inch late 2010..

After using it for a few minutes I decided to see how much ram it was using as id maxed out and upgraded to 32gb compared to my old iMac with 16gb ram.

I was really shocked that it said my mac was using up over 20gb of ram and I was barely doing anything on my mac other than checking some emails.

On my old iMac this was also a problem where photoshop was the main culprit and used pretty much all of my ram causing it to be laggy and slow.

Is it something I just have to live with or is there a problem somewhere?

Thanks

[​IMG]

2. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

Nothing is running out of place there. As long as your memory pressure is green, it is running correctly. Don't forget, on UNIX and UNIX based systems like Mac OS X, free memory is wasted memory.

3. jbuk1 macrumors member

May or may not be an issue but empty ram is wasted ram. Ideally an OS would keep it filled with not just what is being used but what may be used.

4. dannygdesigns thread starter macrumors newbie

ok thanks guys, I find it strange how photoshop is using so much ram there, and no files were even open :confused:

5. Andune macrumors member

Did you have files open before without closing photoshop in between? Apparently PS doesn't release memory until you close it.

This article is also a good read if you want to know more about how memory usage is displayed in OS X since Mavericks.

6. scottomfg macrumors member

Welcome to the world of having more RAM :D No need for PS to let go of that RAM if nothing else needs to use it. If you do run some other apps that need more RAM than is available, OS X will deal with PS.