New iMac: 7/9 - Some questions?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by m1cr0ch1p, Jul 9, 2009.

1. m1cr0ch1p macrumors newbie

I've yet to receive my newly ordered iMac (24" 2.93GHz, 1TB, ATI Radeon HD 4850 512MB, wireless keyboard) but the order status says it's on its way and should be here today (7/9)!! I'm in CA so ya (yes i should get some sleep ~_~)

But yes I am darn excited! This is also my first Apple computer (also first personal desktop) and am looking forward to the switch ^_^ Although I will still use my Sony laptop if I ever need to move around (which isn't likely~)

Just some random questions~
    + Are the speakers on the iMac good ones? =o
    L If not can anyone suggest any good set of speakers/sound system?
    + When is Snow Leopard due again?
    + Who else ordered from the website instead of buying at a store?

2. queshy macrumors 68040

queshy

Congratulations on the excellent choice and welcome to MacRumors Forums!

1) The speakers on the iMac are decent, but don't expect much. They are far better than notebook speakers, but most people will prefer discrete speakers. I have the Harmon Kardon Soundsticks II, and they are truly excellent. You can check them out here.

2) Snow Leopard is due in September. For current Mac owners, it can be had for $29.99. However, since you just bought your Mac, you get it for $9.95. Go here to learn more about this.

3) There are pros and cons of buying in store vs. buying online. Firstly, as long as you buy from a reputable place, you will be able to return the machine for an exchange if it is DOA. The advantage of buying in store is that if it's DOA, you can just drive to the store and swap it. If it's online, you need to call them, send it back to them, then wait for a new one. However, in store you can't get built-to-order options (which I believe you did get, not sure if what you got comes on the "standard" iMac, can't remember the specs off hand). Either way, it looks like you bought it from Apple, and if there is a problem, they will most likely take good care of you.

Don't forget the education discount if you're a student and the free iPod touch + free printer deal.

Oh, and don't be a stranger here :)

Enjoy your machine.

3. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

It can take up to 24 hours for carrier to update its page :)

1. They are OK but if you're going to listen music I recommend you to get better ones

2. Logitech, Creative etc.. Logitech's X-250 are quite good ones.

3. In September, date is unknown

4. I did because when I ordered my on the day the came out it would've took at least 2 weeks for them to arrive in Finland's shops and I wanted a BTO

4. Nobita macrumors 6502

congratulations! All your questions seems to have been answered =)

24 inch is very huge and my friend owned one. Every time I go to her room I am amazed.

5. m1cr0ch1p thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks ^^

Thanks for the replies, you guys =)
    I received my iMac 2 days ago as planned!!
    It's absolutely AMAZINGGG
    I'm loving my new experience with OSX moving from Windows!
    Whoever said that Macs are hard to use must have something wrong with them o_O haha not really but it's pretty simple and i'm super friendly with it now =)

As for the speakers, I saw the soundsticks in the Apple store a while ago but didn't get to try it out
    Maybe I will next time I'm there =)

6. suekitch macrumors regular

I was actually pleasantly surprised with my iMac's speakers. Admittedly I never put the volume up full blast but yeah I think the sound is really great on it!

7. LagunaSol macrumors 601

LagunaSol

Only people who have never used Macs and Microsoft apologists say this. ;)

For the sound system, I really love my Logitech Z-5500 (no, not cheap). Add SRS iWow to iTunes and you have a pretty great listening experience.

8. Nasus macrumors member

I ordered the exact same configuration. It arrived today while I was at work and I absolutely cannot wait to play!! Enjoy your new iMac. :D

9. queshy macrumors 68040

queshy

To the OP: congratulations on the machine, glad you like it! It only gets better.

As for the speakers, I recommend you try out the Soundsticks. Be aware though that any pair of speakers you try in a crowded Apple store won't sound as good as they will in your home.

The Z-5500 are very nice but may be overkill for the OP - not sure exactly what s/he's looking for. I recommend you try the iMac speakers for a bit and if you want something better then go pick up an external pair.

After the Sound Sticks, I recommend the Logitech Z2300s.

I've had a lot of experience with these and they sound just as good as the SoundSticks in my opinion. They don't look as cool though!

Good luck!

10. raf66 macrumors regular

Welcome to the wonderful world of Apple, m1cr0ch1p. I just go my first Mac (iMac 20", 2.66, 320 gb) in January and I couldn't be happier.

Now go enjoy that iMac.:apple:

11. Saternoc macrumors newbie

iMac Screens

Recently my aunt's iMac screen went completely black. She took it to the apple store and they told her that it would cost her about $700.00. I started doing browsing around and found that iMac's esp. the 24 inch screens are susceptible to getting spots or lines running through their screens.
    I was wondering if you knew if Apple took of this issue because I am considering purchasing a "desktop" Mac. Would I just be better off with a mac mini and a separate screen? I don't do professional photo editing or heavy gaming incase you were wondering. However I do like that the iMac has better graphics, a stronger processor, and more hard drive space.

12. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

You only hear from those people who have had issues here. That's the smallest minority, less than 1%. People don't come to tell here how amazing their iMac's screen is, remember that.

You'll be fine, just get AppleCare so Apple will fix it for 3 years

13. Nasus macrumors member

I agree - I can honestly say that I have had zero problems with my 06 MBP and I just received my "first" new iMac and so far everything has been perfect! Not one dead or stuck pixel, no fan noise - no real noise at all, and no gradient problems that my "untrained" eye can see. On set up, I followed the on screen directions and transferred my settings and files from my MBP and my two machines are now wonderfully synced - not even a hiccup. I have never enjoyed such luxury from any of my PC's - the simplicity of things is just amazing!