New imac adding PS3?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Henriksdk, Dec 14, 2012.

1. Henriksdk macrumors newbie

2. old-wiz macrumors G3

how would there be a ps3 option?

you won't see blu-ray on an iMac - Apple believes physical media is on the way out.

3. theSeb macrumors 604

theSeb

No. There is no option for either. I double checked the list of configuration options and PS3 is definitely not in there. :rolleyes:

4. ctdonath macrumors 65816

ctdonath

PS3 is proprietary to Sony. They wouldn't let Apple run PS3 games on a Mac even if Apple wanted to. PS3 support? Not happening, ever.

Apple was part of the group that developed & standardized Bluray. The end result of that committee was something so bad (from the point of view of Apple as a manufacturer) that they refuse to include it on any products. You know something went wrong when one of the supporters & developers refuses to have anything to do with the end result. Steve Jobs referred to Bluray as "a bag of hurt". Between Internet delivery of high-definition video, and anyone adding an optical disc drive to a computer practically obligated to include Bluray support, Apple decided to ditch optical disc drives entirely. Bluray support? Not happening, ever.

5. martinm0 macrumors 6502a

Are you asking if you can connect a PS3 to your iMac and use the display to play games on? If so, no.

6. Roy Hobbs macrumors 68000

Roy Hobbs

7. iCaleb macrumors 6502

The OP is most likely talking about HDMI input to use the iMac screen as a display for......Game consoles.......Bluray players........etc.

Atlona and kanex said they were working on a hdmi to thunderbolt adapter but that was back in 2011 so they must have ran into a problem preventing such a device from releasing.

Before I sold my 2010 imac I used to use the iMacs screen as a display for my ps3.

8. theSeb macrumors 604

theSeb

I was being facetious before.

I am fairly sure the OP was not referring to running PS 3 games directly on OS X, which would be silly. He was talking about being able to connect his PS3 and use the iMac as a TV. The only sources that can be used to do this are other Macs with Thunderbolt. So currently there is no way to connect other devices into the iMac and use it as a TV, unless someone comes up with an amazing adaptor. I have the TB Blackmagic video capture box. It could possibly be used to connect a PS3 and then see the games on the iMac, but I would not recommend it, unless you enjoy playing games with a ridiculous lag.

The reasons behind no BR and "bag of hurt" are commercial and have nothing to do with the technical aspects of BR. Steve Jobs said a lot of things, like "No small iPad - diminishes the awesome user experience that we need at least 10 inches for (please no dirty innuendos here)" and "No dirty external apps on the iPhone". I could keep on going, but I think you get the idea.

The bag of hurt is mainly around the fact that Apple would have to pay a license fee for each copy of OS X sold in order to have a BR decoder built-in and also seeing people not buying movies from iTunes.

Even MS is so unhappy about paying for the decoder that they have removed BR support from Windows 8 entirely and are telling users to use 3rd party software.

http://www.ghacks.net/2012/11/11/windows-8-media-center-does-not-support-blu-ray/

There is absolutely nothing wrong with the format from a technical point of view so please don't spread the FUD, about wanting to have nothing to do with the format. It's all about the money.

9. iCaleb macrumors 6502

In my opinion Apple should replace the dvd superdrive with a bluray/dvd superdrive via usb 3.0.

10. ctdonath macrumors 65816

ctdonath

That's what I was thinking but somehow the right words didn't dribble out my fingers.

The product works well, but the licensing is an utter nightmare.

And at this point, if you offer an optical drive it should handle Bluray - otherwise, don't bother offering the drive. Apple opted for the latter (providing a USB "superdrive" only as another dongle to support an interface they'd rather not deal with).

11. theSeb macrumors 604

theSeb

No worries. I entirely agree with you and please don't take my post as offensive.

12. ctdonath macrumors 65816

ctdonath

We all agree it would be very nice if Apple offered some form of Bluray drive.
    As I said above: they won't. Ever.
    The licensing requirements for manufacturing a Bluray drive and supplying drivers & software for it are a nightmare. Even Microsoft dropped support for Bluray in Windows 8. Apple continues offering the USB "superdrive" only as a still-demanded legacy interface.