New iMac advice

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by proselabeto, Oct 3, 2007.

1. proselabeto macrumors newbie

I'm planning to buy a new 20" iMac. I'm just trying to decide between the 2.0GHZ model and the 2.4Ghz model. Is the processor speed and the graphics card really a big difference? I would like to save the money if I could, but also don't want to cut myself short on what I need. I will use it mostly for iLife stuff (iweb & iMovie especially). I also plan to run a couple programs on Windows XP using Parallels. I don't game nor do I do any 3D graphics stuff. Any advice?

2. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Larger drive and more VRAM.

Both the larger drive and the VRAM will likely be important later on.

I can see Apple requiring some OS features as needing 256MB of VRAM to work. Since this type of thing has gone on in the past.

The VRAM is likely to be the only item in your choice that'll have any significant impact on applications in the future.

3. jonswan macrumors regular

I have the new 2.0 iMac. I do similar stuff to you, but I put in 2 GB of extra Ram, so with 3 GB Ram it works very well. I heard there was a heat issue so went with the smaller processor. I don't know - the 2.4 seems like a better deal in some ways with double the video card + 2.4 is no slouch.... I don't regret it though, as my needs are limited. I suggest the extra ram - though of course not direct from Apple - it's easy as pie to install yourself.

4. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

RAM is on sale right now, and it isn't even Christmas.

So it is a good time to buy 3rd party, even in some cases locally.

5. dirtleg macrumors member

For what it's worth. We bought a new 20" 2.4Ghz about a month ago. It is a terrific machine. We upgraded from an old G3 iMac, and man is it something. To address your question: since we are regular up-graders (every 5 or 6 years whether we need it or not) we generally go for as much punch as we can get without breaking the bank. We got the 2.4 with 500Gb hard drive and 2 Gb ram (I know, but it was part of the budget all along). Main reason for ordering the 2.4 rather than the 2.0 was the 256 Mb vram.

In spite of the recent threads recording problems with freezing, etc., we have had no problems with our iMac and we are most pleased with it overall.

6. bwv1013 macrumors newbie

using the applications you mentioned i'm not sure you would notice the difference between the 2 processors. that being said the old adage of "buy as much computer as you can afford" stands true as a way to future proof your purchase. 300 bucks for a faster processor and better video card is a decent deal (especially for apple). no matter what you go with make sure that you get the RAM up to at least 2 gigs.

7. eXan macrumors 601

eXan

You should also consider that 2.4 iMac has a 320 GB HD vs 250 GB in 2.0 GHz.

I'd get a 2.4 - its so much better deal than 2.0! For slightly more you get 400 more MHz for each CPU core, 70 GB more HD space AND a video card that is MUCH faster than 2400 XT.

8. ClassicBean macrumors 6502a

Do you mean with OS releases after Leopard? Or are you referring to specific Leopard features? I can't see Apple releasing an OS that includes features that wouldn't work on systems currently on the market.

9. eXan macrumors 601

eXan

I doubt we will see some features in OS X that requires 256MB vram minimum in 10.6 or 7 times.

10. ClassicBean macrumors 6502a

Phew! Every time I read these forums I feel more and more stupid having bought the 2.0 GHz iMac. That said, I absolutely love the machine. Does everything I need and more. Plus, I don't game.

11. eXan macrumors 601

eXan

Good if it fits you! Those alu iMacs haven't yet come to our city (aarghh), so I can't even see one in person T_T

12. ClassicBean macrumors 6502a

You need to get to another city. These things are breathtaking.

13. Drile macrumors member

It is plenty of computer and will last you a long time. 256 vram won't be required for a long time.