New iMac and a few Q's

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by matthewprince, Feb 2, 2011.

1. matthewprince macrumors newbie

Hi,

Just bought a 27" iMac (Core i5 Quad version) and have a few questions. Searched around on here and google but cant seem to find the answers i need...

1. How do i convert avi to mp4 so i can put it in my itunes so i can stream it to my ATV2? Ive downloaded handbrake but that doesnt do it does it?
    2. When i move things in a folder and then go back to it on another day the icons arent automatically arranged so its all neat. How do i get it to automatically arrange them neatly?
    3. I have an external 1TB connected for timemachine. If i defrag my internal HD will it mess up timemachine?

Many Thanks

Matt

2. old-wiz macrumors G3

Defrag is not needed under OSx. time machine doesn't care about physical location of files.

3. Krad3130 macrumors regular

Krad3130

1) Not sure what the answer is to question 1.

2) To neatly view your files in a folder all you need to do it RIGHT CLICK (2 finger tap) inside the folder and select "Arrange By", and select how you want to view the files.

3) Again, not sure if this is correct...I believe that the MAC defragments the internal HD itself. Maybe someone can (and I am sure WILL) correct me if I am wrong :eek:

4. ECUpirate44 macrumors 603

ECUpirate44

Handbrake will work
    Right click then clean up
    Osx will defrag by itself.

5. smirk macrumors 6502a

smirk

Congratulations on your new computer!

No, you had it right. Handbrake does do it. You select the avi file as the source and then select a profile to convert it to (you would probably select the Apple TV or Apple TV 2 profile). What problem are you running into with this?

Keep in mind that there are different ways to display items in a Finder window. If you are in Icon view then go to View->Arrange By and choose one of the options. This will force the icons to always arrange themselves that way. If you want to control the placement of the icons but want them to be neatly arranged in a grid, then go to View->Show View Options, then click on the Arrange By popup and choose Snap To Grid.

You may instead prefer to view your icons in List view or column view. The view can be controlled by icons at the top of each Finder window or from the View pulldown menu.

No, you'll be fine.