New iMac and Camcorder advice

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by erl, Oct 6, 2007.

1. erl macrumors newbie

Hello, all.

My wife and I are Windows people right now, but I will soon be purchasing a 24" iMac for her (probably 2.8 extreme) when Leopard is released.

My dilema is this: Which camcorder? I have it pretty much narrowed down to the new Canon HG10 and the Sony HDR-CX7 and HDR-SR7.

The thing is, I want my wife to be able to connect it to the iMac, have the computer "do its thing" and then be able to do some minor editing of the files (iMovie stuff for now).
    I've been reading about the import problems with the newest AVCHD camcorders, and I would hate for her to become frustrated with a brand new $2200 Mac (which is what it's like with Vista right now for her).

Would the CX7 with memorystick be easy enough to plug into a card reader and have it import?

Yes, I've been to several sites to read the reviews, but most of them tackle the camcorders from a professional viewpoint and don't really dwell much on the post-production stuff (or whatever you'd like to call it).

Thanks.

2. marioman38 macrumors 6502a

marioman38

You pretty much NEED to stick with mini-dv, most other formats are not compatible with Macs. This would lead you to the Canon HV20 or the Sony HD7, I was stuck between these two for quite awhile, but ended up going for the canon because of it's 24p capabilities, and excellent low light ability (2lux) [sorry if i didn't completly answer your question, it's late, and I just got back from a weird al concert :D]

3. jshbckr macrumors 6502

You'll want to stick with DV camera with Firewire DV interface. This is the best (and probably the only choice) for you with your Mac. Don't worry though, a majority of consumer DV cameras have Firewire interfaces for your computer, and iMovie will recognize it fine.

Avoid cameras with mini-DVD's and memory sticks. They often try to appear "simple" by not using tapes, but they usually have poor compression and make editing and burning to a nice DVD (with menus, and such) a headache.

4. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

Not true, other camcorder types work fine with Macs now. FCP and iMovie. Just don't get DVD camcorders. But I still recommend miniDV. The Sony HC7 or Canon HV20 are both fine for around the same price as the ones you mentioned. Just buy from a reputable place. I prefer B&H PhotoVideo. Buy some extras too, like a better battery and external mic. And a whole bunch of tapes.

There are a couple of threads here about this, do a search. ;)

5. Cromulent macrumors 603

Cromulent

I agree, even though Macs now support AVCHD in iMovie and FCP miniDV based camcorders are still superior. I second the recommendation to get the Canon HV20. It is a very well respected camcorder for the price.

6. pizzacake macrumors member

I'll lay my reputation on the line :D and also recommend the Canon HV20 High Definition (1080i) Camcorder. AVCHD (H.264) is just too demanding for current consumer computers whereas wifey's new iMac will sail through HD DV (MPEG2).

7. colto macrumors regular

I will also recommend the HV20. It's just a rock solid camera and you know it will work with just about everything. Plus that 24F at 1080p looks so damn good. I love mine to death.

8. ftaok macrumors 601

ftaok

There is very little difference in processor power required for AVCHD vs. HDV when using iMovie. Both get converted to AIC, so once the initial conversion has taken place, the editing is the same. I suspect that it may take longer to convert AVCHD than HDV.

The device where processing power is relevant is at the camcorder. Right now, AVCHD camcorders just don't have enough horsepower to do on-the-fly AVCHD compression. MPEG-2 has been around forever and that's why HDV camcorders have better video.

Eventually, camcorders will be able to handle the AVCHD codec at max bitrates ... but until then, stick with HDV.

ft

9. ScubaDuc macrumors 6502

ScubaDuc

Yes, I would agree. I am in the same position as the OP except the iMac extreme just arrived a few days ago. I like the Canon HV20 but I think it lacks LANC... So, no remote operated tripods and more importantly, no electronic controls in dive housings... A bummer Canon did away with LANC, they used to sport it in their camcorders

10. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

The Sony HD miniDV models have it though.

11. ScubaDuc macrumors 6502

ScubaDuc

Yes the HD7 does. I thought I'd mention the LANC issue as others may be interested in it. Sadly, Sony seems to be also following in Canon's footstep and taking LANC out of some of their more recent prosumers models...

Sony's 24 fps "emulation" mode is not comparable to Canon's HV20. I really wish the HV20 had LANC so I could use a dive housing without holes drilled in it :rolleyes: