New iMac and Epson Expression 1640XL

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by bobkind, Jul 18, 2008.

1. bobkind macrumors newbie

I'm contemplating buying a new iMac and moving away from Windows (The last proper use of an Apple was OS6 years ago!). I've got an Epson Expression 1640XL scanner (A3+). It's a pretty old scanner now, but as it's A3 it's not cheap to replace.

I'm planning on getting Photoshop CS3. Will my scanner work with it properly?

Epson seem to have an Intel version scanner but with the caveat that you need to run PS in Rosetta mode. Does this limit PS in any way?

Apparently it may be used via the OS X Image Capture Utility. Is this good enough for decent scanning (good controls) or is it as bad as limited Windows XP scanning wizard?

I want to make the move, but don't want to be forced into getting a new scanner. Can anyone help or point me in a useful direction.

Thanks in advance.

2. Crunz macrumors newbie

I can see no one has even attempted this so i'll have a go, probably because im tired and deluded, so i think have some actual knowledge (im savouring this feeling while it lasts). :)

From the age of the scanner i'd be 95% sure to say that won't work on the newest imacs with 10.5.

Running Photoshop CS3 in rosetta mode won't matter for long as they're working on universal binaries for that program at the moment, i'd say the performance dip would only be noticeable if you use the program for large graphics (several hundred mb or more). Seeing as the scanner is quite old i'd hesitate a guess your last system is a lot slower than the new imac, so if anything, everything will seem a whole lot faster on it because of that.

I've not used the image capture utility on OSX ever, maybe that itself says how useful it is, but i can't really comment on that. Maybe i shouldn't be commenting on anything because of the lack of sleep and i'll read this later and get really confused why i even posted this. But hey, at least i tried.

Short answer to your question. No. If anyone says otherwise, they're either lying or they've had more sleep than me. :D