New iMac and firewire transfer mode

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by ScubaDuc, Oct 3, 2007.

1. ScubaDuc macrumors 6502

ScubaDuc

I've got a weird situation with a new iMac 2.8 "Extreme" in that it does not "see" its old peer.. a G4 slowsilver with build-in firewire that a relative bought. Apple care told me that "not all models are compatible with migration assistant". However, the new iMac wont even mount the old PC as a firewire disk. The firewire on the iMac does works with a LaCie external disk using the same wire

BUT, the migration assistant works perfectly with my nearly new MacBook that also has no problem mounting the old G4 disk as firewire if I boot the G4 in firewire mode

I am at a loss since both the iMac and the MacBook have the same OS and they are barely three month apart :confused:

Any clues? Applecare are totally worthless here in BE... They recommend "migrating" manually and washed their hands :eek:

I have been trying to call them back all day but the phone is forever busy and I can't get through...:mad:

2. Makosuke macrumors 603

If you're trying to do what I think you are, it should work fine.

The fact that it will mount on the MacBook but not on the iMac is really weird, and definitely not normal, but I'm not thinking of any reason for it--maybe someone else will have a suggestion.

If you just want a one-time workaround, you could do this: Clone the G4's hard drive to the external LaCie you have, then use the migration assistant on that. I've done that before on a few occasions.

3. Chromako macrumors member

Or you could, after going through the set-up assistant, see if running the application on your iMac called Disk Utility helps. It could be that your Quicksilver is recalcitrant to mount... you could try, if the drive is recognised there, manually mounting it. Or unmounting and mounting it if the utility claims it is already mounted (note I didn't say eject). Once it appears on your desktop, assuming everything goes well, I assume you can try running the Migration Assistant manually (it's in your utilities folder in your applications just like the Disk Utility). If I'm not making any sense, I apologise. It would be my fault.

4. dogwater-dave macrumors newbie

new iMac and TDM

put a firewire hub, for example an external 1394 HDD with two 1394 ports, between the iMac and your old G4...