New iMac and HP Printer 2420

Discussion in 'iMac' started by jayes, Mar 28, 2012.

1. jayes macrumors regular

Long time Windows user - I'm loving my new iMac.

However, I am having an issue with my HP Laserjet 2420 printer.

Used to be able to print complicated graphics when it was attached to my Windows XP computer, but now, attached to the iMac, anything even remotely heavy in graphics produces a memory overflow. The printer has 32 MB of built in RAM. I have not added any extra memory.. was not needed on the Win XP computer.

Tech support at HP tells me that the printer is not supported on the Mac.. it's too old. It runs perfectly (when it's not "overflowing") and would love to be able to use it on the Mac. Would adding more memory (a 128 MB chip is about $150) make it handle larger files? I have an Epson Workforce - low end printer - that can handle the Mac graphics better than this HP.

Any suggestions appreciated. I don't want to invest in more memory if it won't fix the problem.

2. forty2j macrumors 68030

forty2j

You can buy a brand new business-class PhotoSmart all-in-one with proper Mac support (and wireless printing, so AirPrint support from iPhone/iPad) for that.

I can't answer your specific question; largely, I consider printers to be disposable, and replace them more often than the computers. This is the way the manufacturers treat them as well; the printers are loss leaders, and they make their money back on ink/toner.