New iMac and LaCie USB3 and TB with CC Cloner?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by kapalua12, Mar 27, 2013.

1. kapalua12 macrumors 6502

Well the new iMac comes tomorrow and is welcomed into the "family" of other Macs. My question is that while I will be using a new Time Capsule to do backups, I would also like to use Carbon Copy Cloner on a LaCie Partitioned drive (3TB total, 3 partitions). Would USB3 or Thunderbolt be faster to use?

Can I put the CC Clone on any partition on the LaCie 3 TB drive or does it need to take over the entire drive with no partitions?

Does CC Cloner need to backup to the first partition on the multi partition LaCie d2 drive?

Can't wait!

2. simsaladimbamba

3. kapalua12 thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks, are all of thos clones made by Carbon Copy Cloner bootable even if they are in a "middle Partition" on the multi partition drive?

4. simsaladimbamba

Yes, it does not matter where the partition is located in a multi-partition setup. It is the second decade of the third millennium after all, at least on Mac OS X.

5. kapalua12 thread starter macrumors 6502

How reliable and fast are the OWC Thunderbolt hard drives ?

What's up with G Technology? They are very slow at implementing Thunderbolt and USB into their mainstream drives. I thought Apple computers were their main interest in supporting...

6. jpmorais macrumors member

it will be the same but thunderbolt is more cpu friendly

7. g4cube macrumors 6502a

You've got things a bit backwards.

OWC does not have any Thunderbolt drives. They do have a Thunderbolt PCIe expansion chassis.

G-Tech has a couple Thunderbolt RAID drives, but no combo USB3/Thunderbolt. Their combo drives are USB3/FireWire.

IF you want to consider lots of Thunderbolt and USB 3.0 options take a look at LaCie. They've got USB3/Thunderbolt combos, as well as Thunderbolt only, USB3 only, and combo USB3/FireWire. Many of the models are available from Amazon and the Apple Store.