New iMac and Lion problems.

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by Binarymix, Jun 25, 2011.

1. Binarymix macrumors 65816

Hi I recently purchased the top end 21.5 iMac (6770 graphics) and installed lion.

When playing HD trailers from apples site, and sometimes flash video, I get random screen lockups, forcing a restart.

I just wanted to know if anyone with the same machine is experiencing the same issue, or if my graphics card is screwed.

I know it could be a driver issue with lion that's why I'm asking before returning the computer. All seems to be fine under snow leopard, but maybe lion is accessing certain parts of the card that snow leopard may not be?

You'd think the drivers for the new iMacs would be optimized for lion already...

All firmware is up to date.

2. Sky Blue Guest

Sky Blue

you're running a Dev beta OS and you're wondering why it's not working?

3. JangoFett124 macrumors regular

4. mrapplegate macrumors 68030

I think you have it backwards, Lion needs to be optimized. Like Sky Blue said it's a developer preview.

5. Binarymix thread starter macrumors 65816

I'm well aware that it's a dev build. I am a developer.

I'm simply asking if it's a known issue with the latest dev build before my 14 day return period is up. I've already returned a 27 inch model for screen tint, and I don't exactly want to have to deal with Apple support if I can avoid it.

DP4 should be fairly bug free driver wise you'd think since lions release is in July.

Also, there are 3 gpu debug dumps in console logs, so the OS knows there's an issue when it freezes.

6. mrapplegate macrumors 68030

Plenty for Apple to analyze then. Send those dumps in. If you are a developer you should know not to run it a production machine. Wanting to test Lion on a new computer then possibly return it if the developer preview does not work does not make much sense.

7. Binarymix thread starter macrumors 65816

I did send the dumps. It's not a production machine. I don't want to be stuck with a faulty graphics card if it ISN'T a seed specific issue.

Again, I'm simply asking if this is an issue with this model. Any other comments are not needed.

Thanks.

8. mrapplegate macrumors 68030

If you want to test then install SL and test it. You can't make a quality assessment of anything on a beta version of an operation system.

9. Binarymix thread starter macrumors 65816

I have gone back to snow leopard. Thanks for the input.

10. mrapplegate macrumors 68030

Unfortunately it is too early to base a purchasing decision on Lion. If you have problems in SL, then it might be the graphics card, but don't return an item just because a developer preview does not run correctly on it. Just my two cents.

11. Binarymix thread starter macrumors 65816

I understand, and I'm not returning it unless it starts freezing under 10.6.

Just wanted to see if it was replicable under the same machine for others.

My theory is the new firmware update is conflicting with lions drivers.

Just asking is all. :)

12. mrapplegate macrumors 68030

I understand. You need to do what is best for you. Just make sure to tell Apple that if you need to return it that is because of troubles in SL not Lion :D

13. macmongral macrumors member

then why not ask on the confidential dev forums that you have at your disposal

that would be the sensible place to ask , because if its a bug then it could be a show stopper , but as the files in the current dev build are dated 25 to 30 of May they may have fixed it

14. Binarymix thread starter macrumors 65816

Thanks, I wasn't aware of the dev specific forums.

15. sudosu macrumors newbie

If you bought from apple or an authorised reseller you have 1 year to return faulty hardware do you not ?

16. mclaren1444 macrumors newbie

this has been happening to my brand new 27 inch imac as well. I believe it started to happen in DP3 but I can't recall for sure. Happened quite a few times in DP4 (about once a day). It is quite annoying.

17. Franman macrumors newbie

same thing

with osx lion installed on 2011 27" base model, i get the same thing after multiple reinstalls.

when playing an apple hd trailer or certain youtube videos, the entire computer freezes (clock stops ticking, nothing clickable) but the mouse cursor is still movable.

on reboot, the console claims there was a gpu debug dump.

has anyone got this worked out?

18. ugp macrumors 65816

ugp

I was getting the exact same issue. I would just get a spinning beach-ball. It would be completely random and didn't get it until about a week after running the GM. I have since done a complete system reinstall with SL and am downloading the Retail Lion currently to see if the problem still persists. By the way this was on a 27" iMac.

19. admanimal macrumors 68040

This is a known issue with Lion. I reported it a while back, and they are working on it.

The "retail" Lion is the same exact thing as the GM, so installing that is not going to fix anything. The only solution is to re-install Snow Leopard until the bug is fixed.

20. titan4 macrumors newbie

Thanks for letting us know. Tho this is kind of a bug that never should have came to final version...

21. admanimal macrumors 68040

I agree. I never noticed how often I play videos of some kind until the computer started hanging every single time. :eek:

For reference, this is how I was able to reliably reproduce the bug:
    1. Boot the computer (a new 27" iMac)
    2. Play a video in iTunes or Youtube (or Flash seems to do it too)
    3. Sleep the computer for a few seconds.
    4. Wake it up.
    5. Try to play another video...it will hang.

It seems like putting the computer to sleep makes the bug appear more quickly, but it will also happen if the computer is running for a while even if it was never put to sleep.

22. catskinsox macrumors member

catskinsox

I can confirm this exact behavior with a mid 2011 21.5" iMac. I have to keep my computer from sleeping to prevent these lockups (I don't *think* mine has ever locked up without sleeping first). Hopefully a fix in the .1 update will fix it.