New Imac and my experience with Apple.

Discussion in 'iMac' started by brownste, Jul 30, 2009.

1. brownste macrumors newbie

Hi everyone,

Just wanted to post my experience with an Apple store in Las vegas and give what I think think should be a big thumbs up to the manager of the store.

It all started on July 8th when my wife and I headed over to the Apple store in Las vegas (we decided to do the whole apple experience for our first Apple computer).

We live about 250 miles away from Las vegas so it was just not a 20 minute drive, but that was / is the closest Apple store to us.

Anyways, we went into the store and explained what we were looking for and the salesman helped us out and told us for what we wanted to do with our Imac, that we can easily get by with the "middle tier" model (24" 2.93 GHZ model) rather than buy the "high end" model and that with the money saved, we can go out and buy and external hard drive and set up time machine and buy some extra software (we bought mobileme family pack).

So, we get the machine home and set it all up and start to use the machine for what we wanted to do (family video import / editing) and realized that we have some sort of error happening at the 1 hour mark of any video we try to import. I call the Apple store and they tell me that I am still within my 14 day return and all I need to do is head back down to the Apple store and they will exchange it out because they think that it must be defective on the video importing or something.

So, I trek all the way back to Las Vegas, get another computer and head back home. Guess what..on the new computer I get the exact same problem.

So, I call up Apple direct to see what the problem can be, after being helped by a Applecare rep for about 20-30 minutes, they came up with that my Sony video camera might the cause as it might not be 100% compatible.

They also recommend that I head back to the apple store again and swap it out as they think that it "might" also be that there could have been a small defect in the batch of computers made.

So, I head back to the store and meet with the manager himself, and this time he tells me that my time is worth something to the store, and he appreciates me going back and forth to Las Vegas to try and get this sorted out, so he decided that at no cost to me, he is gonna swap out my Imac for the "high end" Imac.

They also throw in my apple care for the next 3 years at no cost to me as well.

So, now I am the happy owner of a new "High End" model Imac.

And I thank the manager at the Apple store that made this possible, I do not think he needed to upgrade me for free, but he decided to to keep a customer happy.

And the funny thing is, we can now import all our videos with not a single problem at all so far.

Thanks

brownste

2. geoffreak macrumors 68020

geoffreak

Glad to hear everything worked out for the best. You kinda did pay for the upgrade in fuel costs ;)

3. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

That is what Apple was and is known for. I was at the Genius Bar to replace my water-soaked phone. I was honest with the Genius and then one of the employees came up and asked a question that a One-To-One customer was having. I suggested that Quicksilver would solve the needs and then the Genius gave me a $100 discount off the $199 replacement for my suggestion. Have with your new beast.

4. CoryBoyUSA macrumors member

Which location here in Vegas was it? Town Square, Fashion Show or Forum Shops?

5. brownste thread starter macrumors newbie

It was at the town square apple store.

brownste

6. aprofetto macrumors 6502a

aprofetto

Great to hear! Gotta love those Apple store managers... the geniuses, not so much, but the managers deserve a thumbs up.

7. rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

I'm wondering what kind of problem u were experiencing on those two other ones. Maybe the graphics card GT120.

8. vansouza macrumors 68000

vansouza

I have had the same positive experiences at the Fashion Show store.

I have also had the same issues with the Sony cam... never solved that issue.

9. spillproof macrumors 68020

spillproof

Wow, interesting about both macs not working. Glad the manager was cool and got you all squared away as a new happy Apple costumer. :)

10. Ooz Guest

This is really customer care 101, which most of the companies (including the one I work for) mostly don't get. It's ok if a product or service fails every once in a while, what's more important is what the company/employee does AFTER that. How do you do things that go beyond the expectations for the customer is what matters.

You summarized it very well - that you are a happy owner. Apple was able to turn you in a happy customer, even though 100% of your most expensive Apple products have failed!

The other companies I like doing this - Bose and Costco. They are set out to make me happy - what ever it takes. That's why I keep going back to them!!

11. kilowattradio macrumors regular

kilowattradio

I would not have driven over a thousand miles to get a new mac. I would have just shipped it UPS/FedEx to Apple Factory and tell them to replace FedEx. That is a lot of gas & wear and tear on your car. IMHO.:eek:

12. appledyl macrumors regular

appledyl

Yep. Apple's pretty much the best. They do like to keep their customers happy. You've pretty much gotta love those apple guys.

13. robertokeywest macrumors newbie

problem importing video to imac

i know this is a tired subject, but i'm ready to jump in front of a bus at this point, and i don't mean a serial bus.

we purchased a gorgeous 24" imac in order to start importing years of video. sadly, there is no 6 pin firewire port, only a 9 pin. i bought a 4 pin to 9 pin cable from B&H and i've got nothing. i've restarted both the computer and the camera (sony trv33) countless times.

in an act of desperation, i was able to import video to my pc via usb, then copy it to a DVD, pop it into the imac then convert it from WMV to quicktime and it worked, though the quality isn't very good. does anyone know how i can put this to bed?

i've been reading about firewire to ethernet adapters and everything else under the sun. perhaps it's a faulty cable, lord knows my luck tends to run in that direction. though i'm not sure what good that will do.

another thought was trying to find a 9 pin to male usb cable and running it that way, but everyone says that usb simply won't work with video.

i'm not the brightest bulb in the chandelier, but come on, there has to be a better way.

any help would be incredibly appreciated.

robertokeywest