New iMac and old TM peripheral

Discussion in 'iMac' started by garycurtis, Nov 12, 2013.

1. garycurtis macrumors 6502

I made the switch from RAID to 2 independent external 2Tb drives. The drives have a single USB 3 port. Over the holidays I get a new iMac. Currently on a 2007 iMac with only FW and USB2.

Buying the new iMac leaves me dangling with my old TM backup system. Here's a further question concerning Time Machine. My ext TM drive is a LaCie Quadra. Currently the fastest port among the 4 is an eSata. I had an eSata card in the old G4 tower I sold recently. So I am down to FW400 and FW800 & USB2. I use the FW800 on my iMac as the connector. After the holidays I'll be buying a new iMac with TB ports and USB 3 ports.

Should I just plug into the USB2 port on the LaCie (from the new iMac) and forget about speed?

Amazone does sell a USB to eSata adapter for $30. Worth bothering with or not?

2. iwan073 macrumors regular

iwan073

Why did I get notified about this topic in Tapatalk??

3. JustMartin macrumors 6502a

Not quite sure what you're asking for here. When I moved from my 2007 with external FW800 drive to my 2012 model, I bought a TB to FW adapter and that works fine.

4. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

That is what I would do and it will work fine. Speed is not really that much of an issue anyway for a backup drive.

5. Tumbleweed666 macrumors 68000