New iMac and the screen glass

Discussion in 'iMac' started by ventuss, Jan 19, 2014.

1. ventuss macrumors 6502

I had a 2008/2011 and the new 2013 iMac. I notice small scratches on my 2013 iMac, the problem is I cleaned once and never really checked the glass before, even now I need a flashlight to check it. I noticed some small points near the edges that won't go away.

My 2008 and 2011 iMac have zero scratches, and I have MacBooks, iPads, iPhones... never had any problem with scratches. I started thinking it could be the cat? But why not the older iMacs? Or the 55" glass TV?

Do you have the new iMac model? Is it easier to scratch? Does it came scratch free? Did you notice any scratches after cleaning?

2. drambuie macrumors 6502a

I had a similar thing with my late 2012 27" iMac. The screen looked a bit blotchy and streaky in reflected light, worse with a flashlight. I started cleaning it with a microfibre cloth and created what looked like a scratch. Not only did it look like a scratch, but I could feel it very slightly with a fingernail. I managed to clear it by using a damp fresh clean microfibre cloth and rubbing it hard.

After that I left the remaining blotchiness on the screen, which disappeared by itself over time. I assume this had something to do with the fresh anti-reflective coating. Also, the scratch was probably only on the coating.

I now have a dedicated microfibre cloth for dusting the iMac screen, and wash it after each use.