New iMac and trackpad - do i need a wired mouse to get started?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by themoffster, Jul 31, 2011.

1. themoffster macrumors regular

I'm getting my first iMac tomorrow and I have ordered the trackpad instead of the magic mouse for a change.
    As the trackpad is bluetooth, do i need to have a hardwired mouse when i boot the machine up for the first time? I'm guessing the trackpad won't be paired with the mac when i first get it.

I've only got laptops, so i'll need to borrow a mouse for tomorrow if this is the case.

2. Apple Corps macrumors 68030

3. 88 King macrumors 6502

88 King

Wireless keyboard trackpad and mouse are all paired with the imac, so they will work right way.
    But it never hurt to have a usb keyboard and mouse around for back up or if you want to install Windows on the mac.

4. AllStarCelica macrumors newbie

not at all. i just got mine a little over a month ago and it is absolutely ready to go. its amazing to me how complicated windows pc comps are to set up and prepare. i got my first ever imac at the end of june and didnt know a thing about os x. i was able to set it up and get it running in no time. learning the os took me about 5-7 days before i felt comfortable. i will NEVER EVER buy a windows pc again

5. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

Another Convert!

Until I used my first Apple device 3 years or so ago, I was stuck in the ever increasing glut of Windows and all it's issues. Now I'm not out to bite the hand that fed me for the majority of my working life (I was a network engineer with my own business) But I was truly bowled over by IOS and OSX and the way things just work without endless fiddling around.

I still have a Windows laptop, but that's because I need it for certain things I do in the music industry I would, given the choice buy a MBP:)

6. Nik73 macrumors regular

I was a bit worried about this when I got an iMac last week and was installing windows 7 on bootcamp. Both the keyboard and trackpad worked no problem though, even before I'd installed any drivers. :)