Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

swiftaw

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jan 31, 2005
Omaha, NE, USA
So my iMac 20" arrived today, customized with 2gb of RAM.

I tried to boot it up, nothing happened except for a slow flashing sleep light.

Pick googling found that this is usually caused by bad ram, so I opened the ram port and took out one of the modules. Mac then booted up perfectly.

A little more investigation confirms that one of the modules is dead, thankfully not one of the slots.

So here's the question, when I call applecare tomorrow will they want me to ship the whole thing back or will they just ship me a new ram module. What do people think?

nodabs

macrumors regular
Sep 11, 2006
PA
Dont Hurt Me said:
I would bet they want a service rep to do it, but who knows.
That would be my guess... i doubt they'll want you to open it up and change it yourself.

risc

macrumors 68030
Jul 23, 2004
Melbourne, Australia
The RAM in the iMac is user serviceable. It's the only part that is, so hopefully they will just ship you another stick and get you to return the DOA one.

swiftaw

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jan 31, 2005
Omaha, NE, USA
risc said:
The RAM in the iMac is user serviceable. It's the only part that is, so hopefully they will just ship you another stick and get you to return the DOA one.

That is going to be my argument when I call them tomorrow.

As for an apple store, no. I'm in Omaha, NE and the store here is still under construction. There are a number of apple authorized service providers in town though, so maybe at worst I could take it there.

swiftaw

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jan 31, 2005
Omaha, NE, USA
Update

Just got off the phone with Applecare.

After going through all the standard questions, and without me prompting, the guy asks "Are you comfortable installing this yourself?"

Hmm, let me see, "Yes"

New RAM in the mail, send the dead RAM back in the same box. Hopefully problem solved in a couple of days.

KevKaos

macrumors 6502
Sep 1, 2006
Baltimore, Maryland USA
swiftaw said:
Just got off the phone with Applecare.

After going through all the standard questions, and without me prompting, the guy asks "Are you comfortable installing this yourself?"

Hmm, let me see, "Yes"

New RAM in the mail, send the dead RAM back in the same box. Hopefully problem solved in a couple of days.

Glad to hear all is working out for you in the end. Hopefully you will have smooth sailing from here.

swiftaw

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jan 31, 2005
Omaha, NE, USA
Other than that, the machine if sweet. So much faster than my G4 Powerbook and G4 Mac Mini.

Now, off to CompUSA to pick up a Mini-DVI to DVI connector so I can connect my external monitor.

Swarmlord

macrumors 6502a
Sep 18, 2006
swiftaw said:
That is going to be my argument when I call them tomorrow.

As for an apple store, no. I'm in Omaha, NE and the store here is still under construction. There are a number of apple authorized service providers in town though, so maybe at worst I could take it there.

The store opened a week or so ago. Check it out. It's beautiful.

orangezorki

macrumors 6502a
Aug 30, 2006
If you had to have a bad component, you hit the jackpot there. Of course, I had to have a fan that just rubs a tiny little bit, making an annoying noise. Everything else perfect, but DOA it was!

David

KevKaos

macrumors 6502
Sep 1, 2006
Baltimore, Maryland USA
orangezorki said:
If you had to have a bad component, you hit the jackpot there. Of course, I had to have a fan that just rubs a tiny little bit, making an annoying noise. Everything else perfect, but DOA it was!

David

Is/has your noisy fan problem been addressed and/or fixed? Did you take it in to a local Apple store or have to send it back? I do hope you are not "just living with it".

Dont Hurt Me

macrumors 603
Dec 21, 2002
Yahooville S.C.
orangezorki said:

David
I wouldnt want to listen to that, I just sent back a new Mini1.66 with fan,hum buzz. No way was going to listen to that after owning a silent G4 Mini for the past year and half. I have found Apple to be excellent with any support issue the past 20 yrs.

orangezorki

macrumors 6502a
Aug 30, 2006
KevKaos said:
Is/has your noisy fan problem been addressed and/or fixed? Did you take it in to a local Apple store or have to send it back? I do hope you are not "just living with it".

No, but due to the simple exterior design of the iMac, and the very complicated interior design, there was no way someone could just come round and do a simple repair - I've just wiped the HD and will drop off the old one to the courier tomorrow. The replacement is already being built.

I thought long and hard about just living with it, but decided that I had no reason to accept something that wasn't perfect. I also noticed that the screen would buzz when the brightness was turned down. This way, at least the irritation is temporary.

David

KevKaos

macrumors 6502
Sep 1, 2006
Baltimore, Maryland USA
orangezorki said:
I thought long and hard about just living with it, but decided that I had no reason to accept something that wasn't perfect. I also noticed that the screen would buzz when the brightness was turned down. This way, at least the irritation is temporary.

David
Oh I agree with you wholeheartedly. I know when I get my Mac, I will be testing everything out within the first week. Turn the brightness all the way up and all the way down, and basically work every control possible. Hope it all works out for you.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.