New iMac at WWDC ?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by iMcLovin, Apr 8, 2014.

1. iMcLovin macrumors 68000

iMcLovin

Anyone think this is likely?

I would really want a new iMac with 1.5 gb SSD :), FX 880m and a new intel i7 8core CPU and TB2 (to accomodate the new Lacie HDD's) it would be a nice rig.

2. yjchua95 macrumors 604

I don't think it'll come until September at the earliest, or until the Broadwell release.

3. Jolly-boo macrumors member

Except a rumor last year regarding a cheaper iMac there hasn't really been much buzz going around it.

There might certainly be some sort of upgrade in there; just won't be the focus of the show.

I am curious to see at what point does SSD become cheap enough that it becomes the default hardware option at purchase. 1T is hellavu expensive still.

4. iydkmigthtky macrumors newbie

iydkmigthtky

indeed, i'd love to see 256 GB as default option.

come on, apple, your margins are already awesome. :p

5. yjchua95 macrumors 604

+1. Apple should make at least the Fusion drive the default option or the Samsung 256GB SSD (not the half-baked inferior SanDisk 256GB).

6. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Not likely, they usually use the WWDC to showcase their new OS and iPhones. I could be wrong but I don't remember them introducing a new computer for WWDC the last few years.

7. yjchua95 macrumors 604

Back in 2012 they did, with the mid-2012 15" retina MacBook Pros along with OS X Lion.

8. businezguy macrumors 6502

They'll probably announce new MacBook Airs and the rest will be focused on Mac OS X and iOS 6.

9. quagmire macrumors 603

quagmire

Doubt we'll see the 8 core i7. The 6 core extreme i7's have a TDP of 130 W which are probably outside of the iMac's threshold. Also they are expensive.

10. iMcLovin thread starter macrumors 68000

iMcLovin

HMm, from what I remember WWDC always is about macs. iPhones gets an announcement even all by itself and either ipods are part of that or a separate itunes event.
    Only thing I seen they release on wwdc are laptops and macs. And usually they announce the macs they want to talk about and the rest gets a silent update. ...in addition to ios and OSX updates that is.

11. quagmire macrumors 603

quagmire

Up to the iPhone 4, they announced the new iPhones at WWDC with the exception of the original at Macworld. When they moved to a fall schedule for the 4S did the iPhone get its own special event.

12. sonicrobby macrumors 68020

sonicrobby

:D
    And hopefully the Apple TV and an app store of its own!:D

13. MacsRgr8 macrumors 604

MacsRgr8

It's not the stage anymore.

Only if Apple release a new form factor and/or something really interesting is to be shown (like a Retina Display?) will Apple actually show-off new hardware at an event like the WWDC.

The WWDC is (nowadays) more for iOS / OS X evolution.

14. fredr500 macrumors regular

Wasn't the Mac Pro unveiled at last year's WWDC?

And I know they have released MacBooks in the past there.

15. mmomega macrumors demi-god

mmomega

IMHO, you are not going to see a new Mac at WWDC unless it is a complete overhaul inside and out.
    An internal refresh is completely possible but would most likely just happen at some point during the year without much if any advertising.
    Now, seeing a new Mini at WWDC is a completely different story for another time to not get off subject.