New iMac ATI Graphics

Discussion in 'iMac' started by The Beatles, Aug 9, 2010.

  1. The Beatles macrumors regular

    Jun 16, 2010

    well, i waited for months on the pros all to be underwhelmed. I cant justify the price cause i cant afford the cost. So my plan is to max out the i7 iMac with ram from OWC and sell the iMac in a year then get the pro when prices could be better.

    But for now, im going to be taking on some After Effects projects to accommodate some clients. Will the ATI graphics card perform better in After Effects if i dont connect my 23" cinema HD display to the iMac? Im concerned that the ATI GPU will not be able to perform as well since its supplying horse power to the second monitor too. Any ideas?
  2. scienide09 macrumors 65816


    May 5, 2007
    To be honest, there's not much point in maxing the iMac, only to sell it a year down the road. You won't come out ahead. If you know you need the Mac Pro, you'd be better off continuing to save your money for a while longer and then buying one.
  3. The Beatles thread starter macrumors regular

    Jun 16, 2010
    Your right about that. Im definitely not going to be coming out ahead. But i need the system and i need the ram. The top of the line iMac will hold its resale value better than a bottom of the line mac pro which everybody already sees as overpriced.

    This way, i get the best i can afford which happens to be at the high end of the consumer demographic. Instead of the low end of the pro demographic. Then, when i can afford a mac that can handle more than 16 gigs of ram...i'll cash in on a max'd out system instead of some pitiful pro paper weight. If i go pro, i'll be in at $3469 (approximately) just to get the ram to 16Gigs. But its a rig that no one will want in a year.

Share This Page