New iMac Audio jack

Discussion in 'iMac' started by FuriousGreg, Nov 26, 2012.

1. FuriousGreg macrumors member

I'm a little annoyed about the lack of a mic jack on the new iMacs. I know there are USB options but I found, at least with older machines, you take a small processing hit when using them (loose some fps in games).

I have a late 08' imac and the internal mic picks up a good about of ambient room noise and you have to speak up to have others hear you clearly, where as a headphone mic or desktop one picks up less ambient and everyone in the house doesn't have to listen your one sided conversations and gaming banter. Anyone have experience with the newer 11's internal mics?

Anyone know how this works? Are there other mics that can work?

2. Icaras macrumors 603

Icaras

It works just like how you use it on the iPhone. Nothing extra to setup. Of course, that's fine and dandy except for the fact that the relatively short length of the cable basically forces you to stay glued in front of your iMac, so I really don't see the ergonomic benefit of using the apple iphone headset.

For just general use mic, I think the best solution is to use a simple Bluetooth headset with mic. Works nicely for me when I'm playing Left 4 Dead :p