New iMac - Basic questions: iPhoto, iWeb, and Scanner

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by TexasDad, Dec 14, 2011.

1. TexasDad macrumors newbie

I'm new to Mac and am trying to get everything figured out. Three Questions that are probably very obvious after you know.

1. iPhoto has sorted all of my pics form the old computer very nicely. But I just uploaded pictures from the camera. On import I put them into Albums on the right side of the iPhoto screen. In iPhoto they are easy to find. But were are they on the HD so I can upload them to shutter fly? I can't find them with the finder.

2. I've read about iWeb- but never used it. When buying my iMac I was planning to use it to update my website. I used to have somebody update it for me, but it has not seen an update in a few years. Is iWeb gone? Any suggestions for an inexpensive program to update a simple website? Nothing fancy.

3. Last question for now. My printer/scanner installed without any issues. But the only way I've found to start a scan is to go into the system preferences and then select the printer settings and from their I can find my scanner? There has to be an easier way to start a scan?

Thanks for the help!

2. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

1. The photo files are stored in a library file. Don't try to access them directly, as you will corrupt the library. You can access your photos from a Finder dialog box by scrolling down on the left side, you will see a Photos section.

3. Image Capture is an app on your computer. Use it to scan.

3. DockMac macrumors regular

1. iPhoto doesn't really want you interacting directly with the file system to get your photos. Here are three ways to try, I recommend trying in this order:

Plugin
    There may be a shutterfly plugin that helps you upload directly from iPhoto (I know some online photo sites provide it, some don't.) I know Flickr is built in to iPhoto. You can add Picasa for sure.

Export
    The least intrusive way to copy your photos is to export them to a folder, and then upload them to shutterfly.

Show Package Contents
    Go to the: Home > Pictures Folder, you will find this file called "iPhoto Library" or something like that. Right Click (Ctrl-Click or Two Finer Click) on "iPhoto Library" and select "Show Package Contents". You can drill down to find you photos in there. WARNING: DO NOT MOVE, ADD OR DELETE PHOTOS FROM THIS FILE STRUCTURE. This can mess up iPhoto.

4. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

^^^ Don't try the last one and there is no need to export.

You won't be able to see the Photos section in Finder windows, only dialog boxes - like when you try to upload them to the site.

5. sandimacd macrumors regular

sandimacd

Feel your pain

I went. Through the same thing a few years back. I made a photo folder and used Finder to drag (copy) the mounted camera images over to the photo folder. I also transferred my previous PC images there-all organized by year taken and subfolders.
    Then I used iPhoto to import them. It really doesnt move the photos- iPhoto just references where the photos are and lets you do stuff with them- just like iTunes. Of course you could allow iPhoto to control their location if you choose.

I also had scanner problems. Head over to the manufacturer site and download the most recent firmware update for your model an the OS ver you have. That fixed mine.

Yes, all the Mobile Me and iWeb, Gallery stuff is gone. The best replacement I found so far is Smug Mug. It will host your domain, save full resolutions and interface with iPhoto, Aperture, FB, iPhone, etc.

I found iPhoto fairly useless. With the loss of Gallery, it doesn't do anything to share the albums and shows that you build. It's fine for that ONE Mac, but won't transfer to a USB stick or be able to see on another device. Yes, it will photostream but you have no control over files in that stream. I use Preview to import from my attached devices, or Finder or Aperture. I love that Aperture makes it painless to import TIFF/RAW files. Before that I set up Automator to convert the camera jpg files to tiff files to archive.

I use Smile on my Mac PDF or Pages to build printed photo stuff. I use Smug Mug to back up and manage all my Galleries and order things like calendars and books.

----------

If your scanner is working fine, next time you open it look in your Dock. Right click on it, find Options and then select Keep in Dock. Now, when you close your scanner you will always have quick scanne access in your dock.