New iMac - Beeps on startup

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Slinkington, Dec 30, 2011.

1. Slinkington macrumors member

Slinkington

Hi there,

I just got a new iMac and the first boot up went smoothly. I installed the System Updates and when it restarted, I got a BEEP before the usual Apple chime. I thought nothing of it as it was fine booting up after that, however I just upgraded my RAM to 16GB (4GB in each slot) and I then got 3 BEEPS, three times I think. It continued to boot up fine since then and registered that the 16GB is installed in my system and there appear to be no problems.

Should I be concerned? Thanks for your time. :)

2. Schtumple macrumors 601

Schtumple

The beeps relate to their being no RAM installed from my experience, strange it's beeping but happily turning on, you sure the RAM is 100% pushed in? Can be fiddly and there might be a tiny loose connection confusing the mac upon startup.

3. Slinkington thread starter macrumors member

Slinkington

Just to confirm, the iMac has been booting up fine since the upgrade apart from that one first boot. No beeps since then. :)

I can take another look - I did notice that I couldn't seem to get the plastic tabs back behind the ram after the upgrade, so I tucked it in-between the two ram sticks...

4. Slinkington thread starter macrumors member

Slinkington

Thanks for that link. So it seems my problem is "RAM does not pass data integrity check" - What does this mean exactly? Also, should these tones play each time I start up if there is an issue? Because it's only done it once since the upgrade.

5. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Make sure your RAM sticks are firmly seated.

6. Slinkington thread starter macrumors member

Slinkington

Okay, I checked my ram this morning (made sure it was all firmly pushed in) and it appeared alright, though it wouldn't boot up at all after this (continuous 3 beeps). So I removed and reinserted the ram and I think I saw a hair fall out of one of the slots, which I think was the problem as everything seems good now!

Thanks a lot for the help, guys - really appreciated! :)

7. Schtumple macrumors 601

Schtumple

8. Bmaintz macrumors member

Maybe we should wear hair nets when working on our Macs... :)

9. Samuriajackon macrumors 6502

Samuriajackon

The first thing my Mac did when it booted up and ran updates was a Firmware or EFI update. The long low ton is normal, is that what you heard?

10. thekev macrumors 604

thekev

11. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Thanks for that. I grabbed the wrong link. Fortunately, either one worked in this case.