New iMac, best way to upgrade?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by thekb, Sep 24, 2011.

1. thekb macrumors 6502a

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (hp-tablet; Linux; hpwOS/3.0.2; U; en-US) AppleWebKit/534.6 (KHTML, like Gecko) wOSBrowser/234.40.1 Safari/534.6 TouchPad/1.0)

Getting a new iMac this week. iI want to keep all my old settings, transfer my files to new iMac running Lion.

I have a CCC clone of my SL O/S. sHould I reformat new Lion drive, restore from backup, then re-upgrade new iMac to Lion?

Or is that stupid? Should I Copy files and apps to new IMac piecemeal?

At the end I want the new iMac to be JUST like the old one, but running Lion.

Thanks.

2. 50548 Guest

Why don't you just use Migration Assistant? It's normally flawless for single drive setups (not if you want to customize installed content between HD+SSD)...

If your Mac is new, it already has Lion - so just turn it on, run Migration Assistant (via FW or Ethernet) and transfer your user/apps to the new machine.

3. rkaufmann87 macrumors 68000

rkaufmann87

The easiest way bar none is to use Setup Assistant. Setup Assistant is what starts when you turn on the machine for the first time. Follow the on-screen directions and you're good to go. Below is Pondini's setup guide for using Setup Assistant, if you follow the directions your new iMac will mirror the old machine to a T. It can migrate directly from your old Mac, a Time Machine backup or a Cloned EHD.

http://web.me.com/pondini/AppleTips/SetupLion.html

4. thekb thread starter macrumors 6502a

5. thekb, Sep 28, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 28, 2011

thekb thread starter macrumors 6502a